Alternative THC recommendation?

More
24 May 2020 01:12 #168754 by motal2004
What are some good alternatives THC out on the market and alternative Plasma configuration?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
24 May 2020 03:28 #168761 by rodw
About the only other one thats been used with Linuxcnc is the Proma 150. It is supported by Plasmac but there is another config on the forum here somewhere. Those that championed it have moved to Plasmac and the THCAD card.

There is a THCUD component that allows any up/down signal style THC (like the proma) to be used with Linuxcnc.

Gmoccapy has a plasma screenset but its just that. An empty screen. Those of us that attempted to adopt it put an enormous effort into trying to make it useable but I think we've all adopted Plasmac.

As you've found out, CNC plasma is not trivial. Do not expect it to be any easier with any other THC.

You already have really good motion hardware with your 7i96 and the Plasmac THC and config is by far the best available. It would be a shame to walk away from it now. I read your other thread completely and I could not help but think you were just short of the finish line but were struggling with your plasma cutter.

You have not explained what the real sticking points were leading up to your decision to abandon Plasmac. We'd really like to get you that last mile and over the line.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Clive S, thefabricator03

More
24 May 2020 04:36 #168766 by motal2004
rodw, frustration got the better of me earlier. You’re right To much time invested in this project to walk away. I Will take a few days off and enjoy the holiday weekend, here in the states.
And come back with a list.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Clive S, rodw

More
24 May 2020 05:53 #168769 by thefabricator03
Can you point me to the build thread. I would like to take a look.

More
24 May 2020 06:23 #168770 by phillc54
The following user(s) said Thank You: thefabricator03

More
24 May 2020 07:29 #168771 by rodw

rodw, frustration got the better of me earlier. You’re right To much time invested in this project to walk away. I Will take a few days off and enjoy the holiday weekend, here in the states.
And come back with a list.

I'm glad I could help!

I'm envious. My weekend is over!

If you want to see frustration try muy build thread forum.linuxcnc.org/show-your-stuff/32029...cutter-build?start=0

So often I thought I had hit a show stopper with no solution. A few days off and a hint from someone about how to solve it, kept me going...

More
24 May 2020 09:14 #168773 by tommylight
forum.linuxcnc.org/49-basic-configuratio...hc-config-that-works
forum.linuxcnc.org/plasma-laser/34978-th...-with-how-to?start=0
Those are the configs i used, modified from THC300 config to be fully automated, for parallel port and several Mesa boards. They have been in use for several years on several production machines and they never fail.
And these are new machines i am building and they will use Plasmac with THCAD:
forum.linuxcnc.org/show-your-stuff/38547...plasma-build?start=0
Personally, i am sure there is nothing better than PlasmaC in combination with THCAD, not even in the "industrial" range of machines costing north of 100K.
The following user(s) said Thank You: rodw, thefabricator03

More
24 May 2020 14:55 #168795 by taloot

What are some good alternatives THC out on the market and alternative Plasma configuration?

you can try mine its opensource based on esp32,, it act similar to THCAD but with GUI (even better its 12 bit)

for software use Plasmac with voltage float in

More
24 May 2020 23:26 #168836 by phillc54

you can try mine its opensource based on esp32,, it act similar to THCAD but with GUI (even better its 12 bit)

for software use Plasmac with voltage float in

Where can I find that?

More
24 May 2020 23:33 #168838 by tommylight
That is as simple as making a voltage divider, wiring it to an analogue pin on esp32, and using that to produce frequency on one of the outputs depending on the voltage input, adding an opto coupler to that output to have it completely isolated from the plasma.
Or it can be programmed to output arcok, up and down signals, that should be even easier, as the first version to do it right would require using built in timers and interrupts to get a very stable frequency, and very high at that.
Arduino works at 8MHz, ESP32 at 240MHz, has two processors and some other hardware besides wifi and bt and hal sensors and ........

Moderators: snowgoer540
Time to create page: 0.310 seconds