Using Kerf compensation ?

More
20 Aug 2020 19:49 #178861 by kramerda
When I set up the cut parameters under the RUN tap for a kerf width.......it doesn't affect the actual cut.
I then tried to make sure compensation was enable by adding G41 but the Edit command under File
didn't allow any editing of the nc file that was open. So I guess that's two questions:
1. Is it a simple matter of adding G41 to the file (remove G40 from the preamble)?'
2. Can I do that within PlasmaC (via Edit) or just 'offline' in a post processor. (sure would save me time between two computers for now)
Thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
20 Aug 2020 20:07 #178863 by tommylight
What Linux are you using?

More
20 Aug 2020 20:15 #178866 by snowgoer540

When I set up the cut parameters under the RUN tap for a kerf width.......it doesn't affect the actual cut.
I then tried to make sure compensation was enable by adding G41 but the Edit command under File
didn't allow any editing of the nc file that was open. So I guess that's two questions:
1. Is it a simple matter of adding G41 to the file (remove G40 from the preamble)?'
2. Can I do that within PlasmaC (via Edit) or just 'offline' in a post processor. (sure would save me time between two computers for now)
Thanks

Not sure on why it won’t let you edit.

Cutter comp:
linuxcnc.org/docs/2.8/html/plasma/plasma...#cutter-compensation

That said most of us don’t use it, because it can interfere with the THC (as you’ll read). Most program the kerf width in the CAM Tool and let the CAM handle the offset.

More
20 Aug 2020 20:20 - 20 Aug 2020 20:22 #178869 by hermann1976
Hello,

For compensation with the values ​​from the Run panel, the radius corrections must be set as follows:
linuxcnc.org/docs/devel/html/plasma/plas...#cutter-compensation

G41.1 D#<_hal[plasmac_run.kerf-width-f]> ; for left of programmed path
G42.1 D#<_hal[plasmac_run.kerf-width-f]> for right of programmed path
G40 to turn compensation off

The compensation should always be switched on only after the cutting height has been reached and switched off again at the end of the contour before moving off.

Most CAM systems or GCode generators offer the option of specifying the radius of the tool. Here the radius should always be specified a little larger than the actual max. Cutting width. So it shouldn't be necessary to adapt the Gcode program every time.

Attached a test gcode file.
Attachments:
Last edit: 20 Aug 2020 20:22 by hermann1976.

More
20 Aug 2020 20:21 #178871 by kramerda
Replied by kramerda on topic Using Kerf compensation ?
v0.143

More
20 Aug 2020 20:25 #178873 by tommylight
Linux distro, not PlasmaC version, Linux Mint or Debian and what desktop environment, XFCE or Mate or Cinnamon ?

More
20 Aug 2020 20:29 #178874 by kramerda
Thanks hermann - on my old machine - pre Linux - I found myself tweaking it between cuts if I found that due to minor air pressure, tip wear, or shifts in the current, my parts were slightly off size - so it was useful to tweak it on the fly. I see where you're coming from that it may be affected by THC or affect THC so better to put it in the processing for now. (I'm using FastCam / FastPath and it can be put there).

More
20 Aug 2020 20:30 #178875 by kramerda
v0.143

More
20 Aug 2020 20:37 #178876 by kramerda
Sorry - I'm using Linux Debian 2.8, and I think XFCE.

More
20 Aug 2020 23:16 #178886 by phillc54
Replied by phillc54 on topic Using Kerf compensation ?
You need to specify an editor in the [DISPLAY] section of the ini file.

If you had leafpad installed and wanted to use that:
EDITOR = leafpad

Moderators: snowgoer540
Time to create page: 0.270 seconds