A few plasmac questions

More
21 Dec 2020 15:36 #192660 by Talon2006
I am using plasma 2.8, and just updated to the latest version (I forget the number). I am also using sheetcam with Rodw's post processor. After the update I have a few questions. Not sure if updating I got a few bugs in my system. I did a quick search, but have not found the information I needed yet. If I do find it I will update my own thread.

First question, probing. I hit probe test, it goes down at full rapid, then it slows down to probing speed for the last inch as that is how I have it configured. After that I go to start my cut file, and it probes full speed all the way down to the plate. Is it suppose to do this? Why can't I get it to slow down the last inch, or better yet the last 1/2- 1/4 inch? I don't like it slamming down into the metal at 150-200 ipm. If I could get it to slow down I could have the Z move much faster.

Second, when I am cutting, if I change my cut settings in the tool set, will it automatically update as it is cutting? Say if I want to speed up or slow down cut speed during a program or change my THC voltage. Would it implement those changes in the next move of the file, in real time or would I have to restart the program. My understanding is that plasma will ignore the settings in the g code from sheet cam, and use the tool setting list on plasmac (which is also the sale tool/settings I have in sheetcam.)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
21 Dec 2020 15:44 - 21 Dec 2020 15:45 #192662 by snowgoer540
Replied by snowgoer540 on topic A few plasmac questions

I am using plasma 2.8, and just updated to the latest version (I forget the number). I am also using sheetcam with Rodw's post processor. After the update I have a few questions. Not sure if updating I got a few bugs in my system. I did a quick search, but have not found the information I needed yet. If I do find it I will update my own thread.

Change to the post in the stickied section of the PlasmaC thread on this forum.

First question, probing. I hit probe test, it goes down at full rapid, then it slows down to probing speed for the last inch as that is how I have it configured. After that I go to start my cut file, and it probes full speed all the way down to the plate. Is it suppose to do this? Why can't I get it to slow down the last inch, or better yet the last 1/2- 1/4 inch? I don't like it slamming down into the metal at 150-200 ipm. If I could get it to slow down I could have the Z move much faster.

Hard to say without seeing your gcode but I suspect it’s with relation to above. I’d guess the M3 is not called out correctly but this is just a guess without any code to look at.

Second, when I am cutting, if I change my cut settings in the tool set, will it automatically update as it is cutting? Say if I want to speed up or slow down cut speed during a program or change my THC voltage. Would it implement those changes in the next move of the file, in real time or would I have to restart the program. My understanding is that plasma will ignore the settings in the g code from sheet cam, and use the tool setting list on plasmac (which is also the sale tool/settings I have in sheetcam.)

I’m unsure as I’ve not tried to slow things via the material table while it’s running, I have slowed via the feed rate slider. However, I don’t think Rods post was set up to use the feed rate from the material settings. Someone recently had a similar problem to yours.

You can change things like thc enable or disable real time. It’s all covered in the PlasmaC user manual.

Start with changing to the post I mentioned. If it still had issues please let us know, post some gcode with it, etc. also the version is on the config tab for PlasmaC version. Knowing your version also helps.

Hopefully that’s a step in the right direction anyways.
Last edit: 21 Dec 2020 15:45 by snowgoer540.

More
21 Dec 2020 16:05 #192664 by Talon2006
Replied by Talon2006 on topic A few plasmac questions
Thank you!! Sorry for not posting the version and g code. I am at work and just thinking about things I want to work on. I can post it later.

First step is going to be updating the post processor to the stickered one.

More
21 Dec 2020 16:44 #192668 by snowgoer540
Replied by snowgoer540 on topic A few plasmac questions

Thank you!! Sorry for not posting the version and g code. I am at work and just thinking about things I want to work on. I can post it later.

First step is going to be updating the post processor to the stickered one.

No worries, I think the sticky post will get you most of the way there.

Keep us posted!

More
21 Dec 2020 18:28 #192681 by tommylight
Replied by tommylight on topic A few plasmac questions
Moved to "PlasmaC" section of the forum.
To answer your first question, raise the torch or home the Z axis before running a job. Starting a job with the torch down means the torch is bellow the set height so it will ignore feed speeds.
Happened to me once or twice ! :)

More
21 Dec 2020 21:19 #192711 by phillc54
Replied by phillc54 on topic A few plasmac questions

That does seems odd, there is only one probe routine in plasmac and it is used for both probe test and probe before cut so there "should" be no difference in behaviour. Can you post the backup of you config folder.

Cut speed cannot be changed on the fly. Cut speed is controlled by gcode, so if you change the speed in the parameters then it will not change in a running program until the next F word is encountered. You can use feed override to achieve this.
Both THC Threshold and VAD Threshold changes will be valid immediately.
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight

More
22 Dec 2020 04:30 #192776 by rodw
Replied by rodw on topic A few plasmac questions
Just to confirm my original Sheetcam post is well and truly obsolete. The official plasmac one is the way to go.

I use feed override and torch height/voltage overrides to adjust on the fly.

Moderators: snowgoer540
Time to create page: 0.117 seconds