QTPlasmaC - How to enable FULL THC?

More
21 Dec 2022 15:05 #260019 by Sushi
Hi Everyone,

I have a plasma table I built this year with a Mesa 7i96s and a Mesa THC05. I am running Sheetcam with post processor "PlasmaC" version 0.5, which I'm told is the newest. The issue is my machine is only doing IHS, not THC. I went through the trouble of making a Linux machine specifically for THC. I have everything enabled in QTPlasmaC, but it still won't make adjustments. 

I checked one of my programs created with Sheetcam and the M code used to enable THC is M65P2, which if you look at the user guide is for "immediate THC". Can I just change the M65P2 to an M63P2 (synchronous with motion) and be good to go?

Thank you,

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
21 Dec 2022 17:57 #260029 by tommylight
Is THC enabled LED on?
Does VAD LED go off at any point during cutitting?
What do you have set for VAD in the preferences/settings menu? Change it to 60 or 65.
What is the cutting feed rate set in the SheetCAM?
What is the cutting feed rate set in the main QTPlasmaC screen?
Last two should be the same.

More
21 Dec 2022 19:56 #260034 by Sushi
Hi Tommy,

Thank you for the reply. Do you mean void anti dive or velocity anti dive? I guess I never paid attention to this. I'm fixing a leak on my water table right now so I can't run it to test yet. VAD threshold was set to 90%, not sure what this does. Cutting feed rate for this material is 45ipm in sheetcam, but I have it slow down to 40ipm for holes. In QTPlasmaC it was on a default material at 157ipm. I was under the impression that was only for conversational programming so I ignored that thinking that it would use the feedrate programmed into the part program. The THC enabled LED is on.

Here are my THC settings:
50 sample counts
1.00v sample threshold
1.00v threshold
10 speed (PID-P)
90% VAD threshold
500v/sec void slope
5 PID-I
5 PID-D

Thank you

More
21 Dec 2022 22:51 #260045 by tommylight
90% VAD threshold
That i set at 60 to 65%
The rest i do not modify, ever.
Also i disable void anti dive as i never make cuts over cuts, except when testing that feature a while back.
Velocity anti dive is enabled and set as above.
The feed rate must be the same for everything, at default 90% VAD there is only 10% of feed rate freedom before the THC locks.
Not using SheetCAM, so not sure what gcode it outputs, but i modify Inkscape to output <cut_feedrate> in gcode, so the only control over feed rate remains in PlasmaC or QTPlasmaC. This way i choose the material from the list in PlasmaC/QTPlasmaC and press start.

More
21 Dec 2022 23:03 #260048 by Sushi
Hi Tommy,

Thank you again. I'll take these recommendations and give them a shot. I wasn't aware the THC locks in a position, I thought that it would constantly remain variable. Should I load in material at a slight angle to see if the THC compensates? I would also like to see more of your machine, the rapids look pretty fast.
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight

More
21 Dec 2022 23:15 #260050 by tommylight

Should I load in material at a slight angle to see if the THC compensates?

That should have the been the first thing when testing the machine. 5cm high at 50cm distance is a nice starting point, and check upwards and downwards.

More
23 Dec 2022 21:20 #260169 by Sushi
I just tested the THC and watched everything. The LED "THC Active" does turn on when running, but no adjustments are made. The voltage at the close side was around 90-94 volts, on the far side it was 115 volts.

More
23 Dec 2022 22:55 #260185 by Sushi
I was going to go with Mach3, until I learned that Mach3 doesn't support THC. So I went the very painful linux route, and it doesn't work. It's turned on, it even says it's working. Is this a PID issue on the parameters page? There's no Z movement during THC.

More
23 Dec 2022 23:28 #260188 by tommylight
What voltage does it show on screen when not cutting?
Does that voltage fluctuate a bit?
Did you disable velocity anti dive and void anti dive?
Did you check the feed rates?
Is the feed rate slider on screen set to 100%?

More
23 Dec 2022 23:42 #260190 by Sushi
It shows 13-20 volts. When it's idle it stays at 13 volts, when it's moving but not cutting it's closer to 20 volts.

I did not disable velocity anti dive, but I've never turned on void anti dive. I don't know what either of those do.Yes I checked the feedrate. Feedrate slider is set to 100%.

Moderators: snowgoer540
Time to create page: 0.136 seconds