WOW I missed a TON

More
10 Apr 2023 06:06 #268740 by JTknives
WOW I missed a TON was created by JTknives
My last update I did was a while ago and I come back to find somthing different with the plasmaC I run mothballed. It was hard enough for me to wrap my brain around getting it installed and running and that was years ago. Im
working my way through the documentation but are there any pitfalls I need to watch out for. Or is it best to write down all my numbers and just format the computer and start over?  

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 Apr 2023 06:11 - 10 Apr 2023 06:17 #268742 by phillc54
Replied by phillc54 on topic WOW I missed a TON
If you upgrade to LinuxCNC 2.9 then try to run your existing PlasmaC config it should give you the option of an automatic migration. The migrator should make a backup of your existing config but like anything with computers it is always a good idea to keep a separate backup.

Edit: If you are happy with PlasmaC on 2.8 then you could stick with that.
Last edit: 10 Apr 2023 06:17 by phillc54.

More
10 Apr 2023 10:25 #268751 by tommylight
Replied by tommylight on topic WOW I missed a TON
Last several months i have found out that making a new config is much faster and easier than using old converted ones, those tend to not work properly most of the time as those are mostly hand edited by me.
Talking about QtPlasmaC here, not PlasmaC, those i still edit manually, just got used to it.

More
11 Apr 2023 10:28 #268811 by rodw
Replied by rodw on topic WOW I missed a TON
I agree with Tommy, but because you have all the motion parameters set, I don't bother with being exact with the axes settings and just cut and paste the known good data into the ini file (and some of the hal file stuff too)
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight

More
30 Apr 2023 01:21 #270272 by JTknives
Replied by JTknives on topic WOW I missed a TON
I’m on 2.8 and generally happy with it. I’m considering updating to the newest flavor but until then is there a way for plasmaC to pull tool/material parameters from my Gcode. I have been putting off adding and editing my tool list as I have programs saved that still use the old tools I have saved in the machine. Is there a button I can click that will allow it to get the basic stuff that sheet can spits out? 

More
30 Apr 2023 02:18 #270276 by rodw
There is a script that exports the Sheetcam .tool file into plasmac format. Check the docs.
There is also a post now included in sheetcam by default that has a setting that uses the Sheetcam data and ignores the plasmac tools.
If the Linux version of SC does not have it, it's definitely in the Windows version and you can coy it across to Linux..

More
30 Apr 2023 02:23 #270277 by phillc54
You could possibly use a temporary material from magic comments in the G-code.

A kludgy alternative would be to have two material files and rename them depending on the one you want and then reload them. You could copy your  current Sheetcam ones with  this . Don't forget to rename your original first so it doesn't get overwritten.

More
30 Apr 2023 02:27 #270278 by rodw

You could possibly use a temporary material from magic comments in the G-code.

This is how the Sheetcam post I mentioned does it.

More
30 Apr 2023 02:39 #270279 by phillc54
Really?

More
30 Apr 2023 03:30 #270287 by rodw

Really?

Yeh, I sent some revisions back to Les via the Sheetcam forum... There are  couple of flags that change behaviour in the header.

Moderators: snowgoer540
Time to create page: 0.102 seconds