PnP feeder

More
26 Jun 2020 21:05 #172815 by my1987toyota
PnP feeder was created by my1987toyota
So I know SMD Pick and Place machines is kind of an oddity for Linuxcnc however one of the possible machines I want to try linuxcnc on is an old Mancorp Pick and Place machine the X,Y,Z, and A axis is pretty straight forward, advancing the feeders however is not. I am sure I can treat them as a rack style ATC but I would need to advance the feeder after a component is picked up. Fortunately the mechanism that advances the feeder is a pneumatic cylinder that is on a seperate
3 position slide so that one cylinder can advance 3 different feeders ( obviously not at the same time ). This machine has a total of
48 feeder slots ( 24 per side ).
16 feeder advancing cylinders ( 8 per side )
4 rack position cylinders ( 2 per side )
and I have to have 2 more air / vacuum control solenoids for the head to pickup and release of the components when placing them . Which means I need to control 22 separate pneumatic control solenoids :ohmy:

So I guess my question is are there any examples presumably rack style ATC setups that has to deal with multiple relays / solenoids?
That way I can figure out how to do it.
hopefully I have enough I/O pins to make it work ( 6i25 and 7i76 )

sorry I don't have more pics I hope to load up more soon.

Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
26 Jun 2020 21:15 #172818 by tommylight
Replied by tommylight on topic PnP feeder
7i76 = 16 outputs
But there are two 26 pin headers on it, so you have access to 34 more input or output pins at 5V.
For more, we would have to know what and how those cylinders function, but i would not go with the ATC idea, i would try to do everything in hal, strictly. Not sure if that is possible in your case, as that requires much more info.
The following user(s) said Thank You: my1987toyota

More
27 Jun 2020 03:11 - 01 Jul 2020 17:42 #172829 by my1987toyota
Replied by my1987toyota on topic PnP feeder
thanks tommylight I will try looking into that route . As I said I know PnP is a bit of an oddity for LinuxCnC plus no ready made GUI's for it there's a program called OpenPnP that's mostly ready to go but it has 1 major flaw it relies on Windows .

EDIT - I later found out that it is compatible with Linux. Thank you Aciera for bringing that to my attention.
Last edit: 01 Jul 2020 17:42 by my1987toyota.

More
27 Jun 2020 11:16 #172846 by tommylight
Replied by tommylight on topic PnP feeder
PnP positioning is easy, the orientation is easy, camera and the link between them might be a challenge.
Seen some of the small machines being sold for a lot of money that have no way of working ever as the positioning is not done properly, let alone other stuff.
Not helping...
BTW, there are another 17 IO pins on the 6i25 you can use, in total 51 IO pins plus 16 outputs and 32 inputs. IO's are programmable so they can be input or output.
Does that thing work at all or is there any video of it working where the functioning can be seen ? That would help in deciding what method of control to use.
The following user(s) said Thank You: my1987toyota

More
27 Jun 2020 23:28 #172928 by my1987toyota
there is a very similar machine that is operational ( a few years newer ) I have to wait for them to run a job on it to get some video. for now though here are some pics I took while I was there today

those two cylinders are what moves the rack into 1 of 3 positions. position 1 both cylinders off . position 2 one cylinder is on. position 3 both cylinders are on

this one shows the advancer cylinders when 1 is activated the white cap extends about an inch to push the advancer arm. when off
an internal spring retracts it.

this is what the cylinders look like underneath

a top view with the feeders still in place

the new 6i25 with an additional DB25 connector above it

view of the plugs
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight

More
29 Jun 2020 07:07 #173057 by Aciera
Replied by Aciera on topic PnP feeder
Just came across this:

yurtaev.com/mysetup.html

He's also made his config available on github
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight, my1987toyota

More
29 Jun 2020 21:50 - 29 Jun 2020 21:51 #173144 by my1987toyota
I have seen the video's and the github code . He is also on this site, I am glad to see he also has a web site.

I got some video of a feeder and the rack actuators working. I decided to hot wire it instead of waiting
for the operational machine to run a job. I will be posting the video of it up later tonight.
Last edit: 29 Jun 2020 21:51 by my1987toyota. Reason: correcting spelling

More
29 Jun 2020 23:03 #173151 by my1987toyota
I uploaded video to my channel on Youtube. I hope it answers everyone's questions thus far. If anyone needs video of something else on the machine let me know. I will see what I can do.

Youtube

on a side note why does it take over 30 minutes to upload a not even 2 minute video in standard definition on Youtube.
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight

More
30 Jun 2020 06:44 - 30 Jun 2020 07:02 #173176 by Aciera
Replied by Aciera on topic PnP feeder
So just to get an idea of the scope of your project. Are you using OpenPNP to create the gcode and need to find a way to operate the feeders while running the code in linuxCNC or do you plan on creating the gcode yourself?

[edit]

Either way I guess you would have to write some macros that operate the valves for the feeder mechanism using digital outputs with M62-M68 commands.
Last edit: 30 Jun 2020 07:02 by Aciera.

More
30 Jun 2020 22:45 - 01 Jul 2020 17:41 #173227 by my1987toyota
Aciera . Actually I want to mimic how OpenPnP works, but do it exclusively with LinuxCnC and as I said the biggest problem that I see with OpenPnP is the fact that it relies on Windows 10 and Windows has a very bad habit of taking your commands and saying " I will get to it if and when I feel like it". For me this project will be a very steep learning curve especially since I am not a computer programmer....yet. That said so was learning EFI, CAD/CAM, CNC machining, anodizing and PCB layout software , if I could learn how to do that, I can learn how to do this. If I get stuck that's what YouTube and the Forums are for.
I hope this didn't come across as argumentative that was in no way my intention.

EDIT- I later found out that OpenPnP also runs on Linux. Thank you Aciera for bringing that to my attention.
Last edit: 01 Jul 2020 17:41 by my1987toyota.

Time to create page: 0.344 seconds