Probe Basic Help

More
19 Jan 2022 18:58 #232472 by natholego11
Probe Basic Help was created by natholego11
Good afternoon everybody,
I recently wanted to take my linux cnc experience to the next level.  so I started investigating what it would take to get Probe_basic to work.  I followed "dr dflo's" build and his site as some helpful links to get all the OS's and updates in linux and ultimately probe basic running.

here is where I stand.
I got debian 10 installed, linuxcnc 2.8 downloaded and running and finally probe basic installed and the sim runs fine.
that being the case I ran PCconfig and got the mesa card working and have a functioning Axis gui that moves the machine just how I want it.  what I did after that was copied most of the (what I thought was) relavant text out of the probe basic sim ini file into my ini file, and renamed the "display = axis" to display = probe_basic.

naturally im getting an error. I did some searching and realized that I needed all the config files and subroutines in the same folder as my config files are in, so I copied those over but still nothing.

my question is this: what is the process of changing the gui from Axis to Probe_basic?  is it as simple as just changing the "display =" from one to the other, or is it more complex than that?  Also, I didnt see a HAL file for probe_basic that tied all the pins from the 7i96 to the correct hal pins.  attached is my whole folder, for my machine. 

let me know how much of an idiot I am for some of the assumptions I have made :D
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
20 Jan 2022 12:44 #232520 by spumco
Replied by spumco on topic Probe Basic Help

let me know how much of an idiot I am for some of the assumptions I have made :D

I think you're taking care of that yourself ;)

If you can run the PB gui in simulation mode from the GUI chooser window, you're in good shape so far.

However, there are some other things that need to be changed in the INI and .hal files to get it working.  I can't find the thread at the moment, but in the QtPyVCP forum is a thread where some kind soul posted his .hal file with comments showing what he had to change.  It's more than just the DISPLAY section.

Have a look in the qtpyvcp and search around.  I'll check back tonight and if you're still stuck I'll try to find that thread and let you know.

-Ralph

NOTE - might want to move this to qtpyvcp sub-forum

More
20 Jan 2022 14:46 #232533 by tommylight
Replied by tommylight on topic Probe Basic Help

NOTE - might want to move this to qtpyvcp sub-forum

[/quote]
Done.
Thank you.

More
20 Jan 2022 22:23 - 20 Jan 2022 22:25 #232557 by spumco
Replied by spumco on topic Probe Basic Help
Found it!

NOTE - this assumes you have a working configuration using Axis or another basic GUI, as well as Probe Basic sim working.

forum.linuxcnc.org/qtpyvcp/41355-probe-b...on-vs-pncconf-how-to
Have a look halfway down the thread where Muzzer posts his INI file.  I suggest you open a copy of this file, along with your working Axis file (and the original Probe Basic sim file).  Use VS Code and have all three open at once - that's my strategy.

Then carefully (line by line) incorporate the various changes in to your INI file.  Pay attention to the file locations called out in the INI file... you may have named a folder something different from the sim or Muzzer's example.

Obviously you don't want a lathe configuration, but I think you get the point.
Last edit: 20 Jan 2022 22:25 by spumco.

More
20 Jan 2022 23:19 #232576 by Lcvette
Replied by Lcvette on topic Probe Basic Help
I made a doc and posted it in the sticky section, Please give it a try and let me know how it works and if any issues and I will address!

Thanks!

Chris

More
21 Jan 2022 12:23 #232631 by natholego11
Replied by natholego11 on topic Probe Basic Help
Thanks guys, Ill give this a shot tonight and this weekend and let you know what the outcome is!

More
22 Jan 2022 18:51 - 22 Jan 2022 19:53 #232807 by natholego11
wow, ok that was way easier than it should have been. all I ended up doing was deleting all the HAL files I had under [HAL] in the ini file, except the postgui_halfile and the one from my axis file. and it fired right up.

Thank you everybody!

EDIT:
After getting it running I noticed there are so many features. Thanks to everybody who worked on this GUI it really does enhance the linuxCNC experience.

a few questions. 
1. after changing to incremental jog mode, how do you get back to continuous jog mode?
2. how do I connect the spindle encoder to the "DRO" on the GUI? my pins are all there in the HAL file, but im sure there is another file that needs one or more of the hal pins
3. when I am setting up my tool table and touching tools off, I have seen many people use the spindle nose as the reference, that being the case - Why do they do this? does my G59.3 have to be the machine home coordinates, otherwise itll miss the probe? what is the purpose of having the nose being the first thing you touch off?
Last edit: 22 Jan 2022 19:53 by natholego11.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lcvette

More
27 Jan 2022 01:17 #233243 by Lcvette
a few questions. 
1. after changing to incremental jog mode, how do you get back to continuous jog mode?

in the ini:

INCREMENTS = JOG .1in .01in .001in .0001in

having the JOG entry in the increments ini line adds a jog button that is built into the increments widget. see the below thread for anything else you may have missed!

forum.linuxcnc.org/qtpyvcp/44889-probe-b...onfig-conversion-doc

2. how do I connect the spindle encoder to the "DRO" on the GUI? my pins are all there in the HAL file, but im sure there is another file that needs one or more of the hal pins.

The darker (left side) spindle rpm dro in the lower main panel is the actual spindle speed taken from linuxcnc "speed" status. in the gui it is pulling data from linuxcnc STATUS: spindle.0.speed and is a float value.  you should be able to connect your hal to feed this.  you can see the dro widget rule for the readout below as well as the docs link to set you on the path on how to accomplish this:

linuxcnc.org/docs/html/config/python-int...spindle_dictionary_a

3. when I am setting up my tool table and touching tools off, I have seen many people use the spindle nose as the reference, that being the case - Why do they do this? does my G59.3 have to be the machine home coordinates, otherwise itll miss the probe? what is the purpose of having the nose being the first thing you touch off?

The spindle nose creates a repeatable gage line that all tools are offset against.  because this never changes it ensures that all the stores offsets remain accurate.  once the height has been established and stored in the touch off settings  on the offsets page as (SPINDLE ZERO), you should be ok providing your tool setter is permanently mounted and your home switches are accurate.  if they are not, you should remeasure the spindle zero height and enter prior to measuring new tools all while in the same running instance of linuxcnc.  G59.3 is where the tool touch off position is stored.  this is done so the user can see and verify the stored position in the offsets table.

the purpose for using the spindle gage line verse using the probe as a master tool, is to avoid those with large tool libraries having to remeasure all tools if the probe is crashed and a new tip installed which will effect its new tool length and as such any tools measured against the previous length offset of the probe.  by the probe being a single tool with its own offset against the spindle nose, if it is changed and updated the new offset will still be accurate in relation to all other stored tools.  this is the best way "in my opinion at least" to accomplish keeping everything consistent and compartmentalized to eliminate globally impacting the tool library in the event of a mishap.  if this isn't the way you would like to have the touch off, the macros i wrote are in the subroutines folder and can be rewritten to suit.  the button is tied to the macros file name and the other entries can be manipulated in the subroutine as you desire.

hope this helps!

Chris Polanski
Attachments:

More
29 Jan 2022 20:21 #233479 by natholego11

2. how do I connect the spindle encoder to the "DRO" on the GUI? my pins are all there in the HAL file, but im sure there is another file that needs one or more of the hal pins.

The darker (left side) spindle rpm dro in the lower main panel is the actual spindle speed taken from linuxcnc "speed" status. in the gui it is pulling data from linuxcnc STATUS: spindle.0.speed and is a float value.  you should be able to connect your hal to feed this.  you can see the dro widget rule for the readout below as well as the docs link to set you on the path on how to accomplish this:

linuxcnc.org/docs/html/config/python-int...spindle_dictionary_a

im not exactly following what youre saying here, in the pyVCP on a normal Axis GUI the hal pins
"net spindle-vel-fb-rps         =>  abs.0.in
net spindle-vel-fb-rps-abs abs.0.out"

are assigned to

" spindle-fb-rpm-abs-filtered       =>   pyvcp.spindle-speed
net spindle-at-speed        =>    pyvcp.spindle-at-speed-led"

and that shows up in the VCP.

do I use these same pins and just assign them to different values? or am i missing this completely?

More
29 Jan 2022 21:06 - 29 Jan 2022 21:09 #233485 by Lcvette
sorry misunderstood, thought you were editing the gui itself for your desired needs.. here is an example of the spindle section hal from my machine, should help!

loadrt abs names=abs.spindle
loadrt lowpass names=lowpass.spindle
loadrt scale names=scale.spindle
loadrt near

addf scale.spindle            servo-thread
addf abs.spindle              servo-thread
addf lowpass.spindle          servo-thread
addf near.0                   servo-thread

#*******************
#  SPINDLE S
#*******************
setp   pid.s.Pgain     [SPINDLE_9]P
setp   pid.s.Igain     [SPINDLE_9]I
setp   pid.s.Dgain     [SPINDLE_9]D
setp   pid.s.bias      [SPINDLE_9]BIAS
setp   pid.s.FF0       [SPINDLE_9]FF0
setp   pid.s.FF1       [SPINDLE_9]FF1
setp   pid.s.FF2       [SPINDLE_9]FF2
setp   pid.s.deadband  [SPINDLE_9]DEADBAND
setp   pid.s.maxoutput [SPINDLE_9]MAX_OUTPUT
setp   pid.s.error-previous-target true
net spindle-index-enable  <=> pid.s.index-enable
net spindle-enable        =>  pid.s.enable
net spindle-vel-cmd-rpm     => pid.s.command
net spindle-vel-fb-rpm-abs      => pid.s.feedback
net spindle-output        <=  pid.s.output

# ---PWM Generator signals/setup---
setp   hm2_7i92.0.7i77.0.1.analogout0-scalemax  [SPINDLE_9]OUTPUT_SCALE
setp   hm2_7i92.0.7i77.0.1.analogout0-minlim    [SPINDLE_9]OUTPUT_MIN_LIMIT
setp   hm2_7i92.0.7i77.0.1.analogout0-maxlim    [SPINDLE_9]OUTPUT_MAX_LIMIT
net spindle-output      => hm2_7i92.0.7i77.0.1.analogout0
net spindle-enable   hm2_7i92.0.7i77.0.1.analogena

# ---Encoder feedback signals/setup---
setp    hm2_7i92.0.encoder.00.counter-mode 0
setp    hm2_7i92.0.encoder.00.filter 1
setp    hm2_7i92.0.encoder.00.index-invert 0
setp    hm2_7i92.0.encoder.00.index-mask 0
setp    hm2_7i92.0.encoder.00.index-mask-invert 0
setp    hm2_7i92.0.encoder.00.scale  [SPINDLE_9]ENCODER_SCALE
net spindle-revs             <=   hm2_7i92.0.encoder.00.position
net spindle-vel-fb-rps       <=   hm2_7i92.0.encoder.00.velocity
net spindle-index-enable     <=>  hm2_7i92.0.encoder.00.index-enable

# ---setup spindle control signals---
net spindle-vel-cmd-rps        <=  spindle.0.speed-out-rps
net spindle-vel-cmd-rps-abs    <=  spindle.0.speed-out-rps-abs
net spindle-vel-cmd-rpm        <=  spindle.0.speed-out
net spindle-vel-cmd-rpm-abs    <=  spindle.0.speed-out-abs
net spindle-enable             <=  spindle.0.on
net spindle-cw                 <=  spindle.0.forward
net spindle-ccw                <=  spindle.0.reverse
net spindle-brake              <=  spindle.0.brake
net spindle-revs               =>  spindle.0.revs
net spindle-at-speed           =>  spindle.0.at-speed
net spindle-vel-fb-rps         =>  spindle.0.speed-in
net spindle-index-enable      <=>  spindle.0.index-enable

# ---Setup spindle at speed signals---
net spindle-vel-cmd-rps    =>  near.0.in1
net spindle-vel-fb-rps     =>  near.0.in2
##########################
net spindle-at-speed       <=  near.0.out
setp near.0.scale 1.000000
setp near.0.difference 5
##sets spindle-at-speed true
#  Use ACTUAL spindle velocity from spindle encoder
#  spindle-velocity bounces around so we filter it with lowpass
#  spindle-velocity is signed so we use absolute component to remove sign
#  ACTUAL velocity is in RPS not RPM so we scale it.
setp     scale.spindle.gain 60
setp     lowpass.spindle.gain 1.000000
net spindle-vel-fb-rps        =>     scale.spindle.in
net spindle-fb-rpm               scale.spindle.out       =>   abs.spindle.in
net spindle-fb-rpm-abs           abs.spindle.out         =>   lowpass.spindle.in
net spindle-fb-rpm-abs-filtered  lowpass.spindle.out
Last edit: 29 Jan 2022 21:09 by Lcvette.

Moderators: KCJLcvette
Time to create page: 0.255 seconds