Qtdragon occasionally overwriting preferences

More
23 Oct 2022 05:26 #254827 by Eyecon
On a few occasions upon restart of linuxcnc and the computer, qtdragon seems to ignore the preferences file and resets to default. Not sure how to recreate the issue consistently but does occur randomly every few restarts. Any ideas?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
24 Oct 2022 10:12 #254890 by andypugh
Do you close the GUI then shut down the PC, or just shut down the PC.

The GUI _should_ catch the SIGTERM and save state, but I always like to give them a bit more time.

More
24 Oct 2022 10:27 #254892 by tommylight
Are you using a Mesa board or anything that would cause LinuxCNC to not start if disconnected/not powered?

More
24 Oct 2022 12:14 #254900 by Eyecon
I’m running my system sort of in kiosk mode, so I only use the system shutdown button in Qtdragon. It’s not that it doesn’t save the changes to prefs, it’s as if upon start it can’t find the preferences file and resorts to default settings.

More
24 Oct 2022 12:19 - 24 Oct 2022 12:22 #254902 by Eyecon
I am using a Mesa card, I also have openbox start Linuxcnc after a 5 second delay because I was constantly getting an “error finishing read” if I try to start Linuxcnc 2.9(compiled from source, running Debian 11) with Qtdragon as the system is still starting up
Last edit: 24 Oct 2022 12:22 by Eyecon.

More
24 Oct 2022 15:02 #254913 by tommylight
Try loading LinuxCNC with the Mesa board off, LinuxCNC will error out, power on the Mesa board, start LinuxCNC.
Are the preferences set to default?
Same thing would happen with QtPlasmaC a while back, has not happened lately so maybe PhillC got something fixed, i have no clue as to what or where.

More
24 Oct 2022 23:50 #254973 by Eyecon
Thanks @tommylight, I’ll see if having the Mesa board off will cause this issue.
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight

More
25 Oct 2022 01:30 #254981 by cmorley
You say it ignores the file. How do you know this?
Can you confirm that at shutdown the settings are written properly?

Ignoring vrs corrupted vrs not found is all clues to the problem, so it matters.

My guess is a closing problem that erases but doesn't write the file properly or the OS caching the file and it not getting written properly.

More
25 Oct 2022 02:00 #254983 by Eyecon
I guess I should have said it "appears to ignore the file". I'm going to try and pay better attention and check the timestamp/content of the pref file next time this happens while Linuxcnc is still running...unfortunately that's the problem with running in openbox, I always forget I can switch to a console and end up quitting linuxcnc to launch an xterm. I wish I knew how to trigger it, for a while I thought the problem disappeared through one of the fixes you have pushed out recently.

More
30 Oct 2022 11:02 #255430 by Eyecon
@cmorley I had the issue occur today and I remembered to switch over to a terminal to check the pref file. Basically Qtdragon started and reverted to default preferences while the old preferences file was present. The file had the time signature of the last time I shutdown Linuxcnc and the machine but Qtdragon just seemed to ignore it and loaded the defaults. Of couse after quitting, these defaults ended up overriding the appropriately configured preferences file.

Moderators: cmorley
Time to create page: 0.220 seconds