Mazak Micro Slant 15 Retrofit

More
13 May 2017 11:52 #93135 by tommylight
Picked up this on monday

Still siting in the middle of entry way to the workshop, had to dismantle the plasma i am building and move a lot of stuff around to make space for it, now waiting for a big fork lift to put it inside.
As far as i could test everything worked properly but there are several things missing as pictured below, namely power chuck, tools and the part that pushes the stock forward.

Got it for 2500 euro plus 300 for transport.
A friend found a chuck in germany, 10 inch or 250mm for 400 euro so at the risk of it not fitting i am ordering it. So need to find some tooling and do some tests to get a feeling of the state of the machine, hoping that something is not right so i can justify retrofiting it with Mesa/Linuxcnc. :)
More fun......and heavy lifting !
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 May 2017 18:37 - 19 Feb 2023 13:59 #93145 by tommylight
Who the hell named that thing "micro" ?????? It weights 7700 punds or 3700 kg ! Naming micro something that weights 3.7 tons is not funny at all.
Still not inside.......more ......not so fun! :)
Turned it on today, found out i have to do some upgrades to the power lines and fuses in the shop, kept flipping them for a while.
If anyone has info or parameters or schematics that would be nice as it will save me about a week if i embark on retrofitting it.
Edit:
Attached the latest config.
Attachments:
Last edit: 19 Feb 2023 13:59 by tommylight. Reason: Attached config
The following user(s) said Thank You: jay1st

More
13 May 2017 22:22 #93153 by rodw
Replied by rodw on topic Mazak Micro Slant 15 Retrofit
I'm keen to follow your progress on this one Tommy. These seem to be pretty easy to find in Australia. I've bought a lot of tooling from
www.ctctools.biz/ ex Hong Kong but I'm not sure if thats viable in your part of the world. I remember spending $800 there once and checked prices locally but I gave up when the local cost got to $2500
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight

More
13 May 2017 23:32 #93157 by tommylight
Down for maintenance ! :(
The site you linked to, not me ! :)
I am at a crossroad at the moment, wondering if it will take me longer to retrofit it and program all the logic, or learn how to program the existing Mazatrol T1 from Mitsubishi. Hmmmm i wonder....

More
14 May 2017 00:33 #93165 by rodw

Down for maintenance ! :(
The site you linked to, not me ! :)
I am at a crossroad at the moment, wondering if it will take me longer to retrofit it and program all the logic, or learn how to program the existing Mazatrol T1 from Mitsubishi. Hmmmm i wonder....

Yeh, I noticed the site was down and of course I know by now you never stop! Try them on Monday as I am sure they will be back. Just be warned you will need to know your way around all of the ISO insert tooling terms. They also sell on eBay.

I really think you should retrofit it with LInuxCNC so I can copy your build one day! :P :P

More
14 May 2017 00:51 #93168 by tommylight
Been thinking about it since the moment i saw it, so a 7i77, 7i74, 2X7i70 and 2X7i71 should do just fine. Already have 6i25 and a 7i92. The only thing holding me back is the schematics, having that would save me over a week of fiddling and testing and measuring. Also having Mitsubishi everything and no info about it could make for some nice fireworks.
For the time beeing i can not afford 2 to 3 weeks for it, but as soon as i finish the big plasma and another smaller one, i will be all over it. :evil:
The following user(s) said Thank You: rodw

More
16 May 2017 02:26 #93247 by tommylight
Had a bit of a misshap today so i am currently out of order. Grabed a freshly welded piece of 30mm round bar and ended up with several grade 1 and 2 burns on the right hand. Gona take quite some time to be able to use the hand properly, so wont be doing much in the near future. Will be checking in here more offten, so do something so i can keep myself occupied!
With utmost respekt,
Tom

More
16 May 2017 02:43 #93250 by rodw
Tommy, take care while you mend. In the meantime, we'll probably get tired of your activity on the forum ..... Just kidding.... . :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo:

I for one always value your input

More
16 May 2017 21:15 #93280 by tommylight
MAZAK in da hauseeeeee!
Finally got it in the workshop, the forklift (5 ton capacity but very old ) had problems lifting it from the ground so we pushed it in using wooden pallets under it to prevent it from scraping on the floor. What a relief after 8 days of siting outside in the rain, properly covered.
Rendered 1/3 of the place unusable, has to be 80cm away from walls.
Here is a picture of it inside,

And here is how the rest of the shop looks from making place for this "micro" thing !

More fun.......ehm.... i think so ! :)
Attachments:

More
23 May 2017 14:22 #93546 by RotarySMP
Hope you burns are healing well.

That Mazak looks like it will be quite a project if you plan to convert it.
Mark

Time to create page: 1.349 seconds