CNC plasma tube cutter

More
30 Sep 2018 10:45 #118231 by tommylight
Another one is done and delivered, this time a rotary tube cutter.

This one uses Linuxcnc as usual, the THC config although it does not have a THC, but i needed the probing function as it eliminates the need for guessing the torch cut height.
ARCOK signal is derived from an induction sensor i made ( also used in some other retrofits for reliable ARCOK signal ) to ensure reliable ARCOK signal always. When using THC that derive the ARCOK signal from the voltage on the plasma, they tend to issue a signal even when the actual cutting has not occurred due to having an actual voltage at the inputs as the plasma side is on giving anything from 180 to 250 VDC.
X axis ( rotational ) uses a double stack NEMA 23 motor, while the Y and Z axis use NEMA 17, all driven by Lam Technologies stepper drives.
It can cut up to 300mm in diameter and 2 meters in length.
While i was building this, i was also retrofitting another chinese cnc plasma cutter from crappy controls and a messed up THC from water ingress ( it had a pump and a pipe to cool the torch ), to Linuxcnc and a THC that i designed a programmed all the functions for, but i had someone else make the boards and solder the parts so he thought it was a nice idea to plaster his name and phone number all over the boards without a single hint of me in it ( this is the only case i wish i was in USA to sue his @$$ ). Did all this while pushing 6AM to 22:30PM work days mostly ( mostly since there were a few days with even more work hours ).
Will need to make another one, much bigger soon.
regards,
Tom
The following user(s) said Thank You: Grotius, Plasmaguy

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
30 Sep 2018 15:38 #118236 by Grotius
Replied by Grotius on topic CNC plasma tube cutter
Hi Tom,

Great work, i like this.

I made several tube cutters. I think about 5 of this type, before that 3 of other type :

I am searching for a candidate to build my type of tube cutter's with a licence agreement.
One is working for about 3 years, 5 day's a week, 10 hours a day in Poland. So it is a proven concept.

Keep up the good work !
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight, rodw, Plasmaguy

More
01 Oct 2018 15:15 #118294 by andypugh
Replied by andypugh on topic CNC plasma tube cutter
I have an idea...

several sets of pairs of tube-support rollers

1 (or more) drive rollers come down from above, measure the tube diameter and rotate the tube.
All other problems are solved in software :-)

More
01 Oct 2018 19:49 #118315 by tommylight
Replied by tommylight on topic CNC plasma tube cutter
Drawing ? Sketch ? Smoke signals ? Anything ?
I am way to tired to think about complicated stuff right now, and the chronic lack of sleep is taking it's toll lately.
Thank you, will have to look at this tomorrow, after some more than 4 or 5 hours sleep, hopefully.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Grotius

More
04 Oct 2018 18:32 #118445 by Grotius
Replied by Grotius on topic CNC plasma tube cutter
Hi,

I am way to tired to think about complicated stuff right now

Me too. I have a link to donate Tom in special way.

tube cutter increasing carma of Tom
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight

More
04 Oct 2018 22:57 #118449 by tommylight
Replied by tommylight on topic CNC plasma tube cutter

Hi,

I am way to tired to think about complicated stuff right now

Me too. I have a link to donate Tom in special way.

tube cutter increasing carma of Tom

Error
You have entered information to an obsolete form from another session. Please verify that the user account is yours and please try again!

I guess i can not increase my own karma ! :)
Thank you Grotius.

Time to create page: 0.131 seconds