"kins" help

More
30 Sep 2012 19:57 #24763 by btvpimill
"kins" help was created by btvpimill
Starting to read and try to understand the "kins" The first question I have is this:

All the kins seem to be written with tran.x tran.y tran.z, but the rest of the joints are just the axis name. for instance:

pos->tran.z = joints[2]; for x,y and z. But
pos->a = joints[3]; for a,b,c,u,v,w.

So what does the "tran" do?

Next question, it seems like I could write a variation of trivikins that would slave V to Y and W to Z, but only when a pin is set. When said pin is not set, independent control over all joints would be in effect. Currently we move the machine to a preset position then link/unlink the joints to slave them. but this is a bit cumbersome.

And please, gantrykins is not the answer for us as sometimes the machine is a gantry mill, and sometimes it is a hotwire. It is both within the same part, hence the need to switch back and forth.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
30 Sep 2012 20:29 #24767 by andypugh
Replied by andypugh on topic Re:
btvpimill wrote:

So what does the "tran" do?[\quote]
tran is (I think) a PM_CARTESIAN from git.linuxcnc.org/gitweb?p=linuxcnc.git;a...fs/heads/v2.5_branch
I think that there are sections of the code that find it more convenient to be passed a "pose" rather than individual axis positions.
I am not entirely sure why uvw are excluded, but the fact that they are might explain why there are no arcs in the UVW planes.

Next question, it seems like I could write a variation of trivikins that would slave V to Y and W to Z, but only when a pin is set.

Yes, that is probably possible. The hard part is "bumpless transfer" between modes. Not too hard, but you will need to move all joints to a fixed position before switching modes, or you will get a following error. (The safe tool change position seems like a logical choice).

And please, gantrykins is not the answer for us as sometimes the machine is a gantry mill, and sometimes it is a hotwire. It is both within the same part, hence the need to switch back and forth.

Do you need to switch on-the-fly within one G-code program? I have a machine that is a mill or a lathe depending on which config file I start it from.

More
30 Sep 2012 20:46 #24769 by btvpimill
Replied by btvpimill on topic Re:
Yes we switch within the same part program. the "mill" is 1 tool, the hotwire is the other tool.

I guess I was hoping if I used different sections of a kins program, the joints would always be in position (no FB issues or bumps). since kins would be sending the commands to the joints? Therefore everybody would be happy :)

I guess this is not the case so we will continue to use the method we have in place now.

As for the tran, I will follow your link and see what I can see. Maybe it will also shed some light on the feedrate issue that I find when commanding UVW with any XYZ, in that XYZ always have the feedrate applied to them and UVW is sped up to keep up - even if UVW are then going too fast!

Time to create page: 0.178 seconds