Running Koppi's Toy Bipod

More
13 Feb 2014 19:02 #43822 by andypugh
Replied by andypugh on topic Running Koppi's Toy Bipod

I have wound nylon strings directly onto the 1/4" motor shafts. so the circumference = string wound in 200 steps
ie scale = 200/19.9491mm or 10.0255

Is there any microstepping in the drives? If you have 8x microstepping then the scale might be 80.2.

But, the diameter is not 6.35mm, it is 6.35mm + cord diameter (to the centre line of the cord). If the cord is 0.5mm and you have 8x microstepping then the scale is 74.35.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 Feb 2014 12:11 #43841 by chojin
Replied by chojin on topic Running Koppi's Toy Bipod
Spot on Andy! The easy driver boards I am using apparently need to have the MS1 and MS2 terminals grounded to ensure they are not interpreted as HIGH. Anyhow all seems to be working now, I'm pretty stoked!

More
18 Feb 2014 10:11 #43932 by chojin
Got the bipod setup on a big board now and am ready to draw some stuff. Here's a couple videos of the first pattern from the new machine.

More
22 Mar 2014 09:08 - 22 Mar 2014 09:12 #45079 by chojin
I have implemented a homing system into the machine using limit switched triggered from beads

It works well but there is a problem with the homing as it tends to set the machine in the +y rather than the -y area. How I have the machine configured is that 0,0 is on the left hand motor and the x position of the right hand motor is supplied in the hal. I'm guessing that the kinematics could be changed to force the machine to solve for the -y position always (it will never go above 0 since the machine is hanging under gravity).

A work around is to power off the motors and run a program which drives the machine into -y. Then when re-homing the correct -y home is found. I'm not sure why this works but wold be really interested in an explanation.

Does anyone know if changing the kinematics is the correct path, or have any ideas how to get the machine to home in -y every time? I am using the kinematics from here Koppi's Toy Git
Last edit: 22 Mar 2014 09:12 by chojin.

More
22 Mar 2014 10:58 #45083 by andypugh
Replied by andypugh on topic Running Koppi's Toy Bipod

I have implemented a homing system into the machine using limit switched triggered from beads

That's pretty elegant.

You might find this thread interesting:
thread.gmane.org/gmane.linux.distributio...el/12684/focus=12687

Mainly because the docs say that the solution is kinematicsHome() when actually that function is ignored.....

More
24 Sep 2014 21:38 - 24 Sep 2014 21:38 #51531 by robcau
Replied by robcau on topic Running Koppi's Toy Bipod
chojin, are you willing to share your project files (hal, ini)? I'm setting up a similar bipod project to yours and I think I understand the kinematics but I'm struggling to setup my linuxcnc project. Thanks!
Last edit: 24 Sep 2014 21:38 by robcau.

More
25 Sep 2014 09:05 #51553 by chojin
Yep the source files for the project are shared here github.com/Chojins/LinuxCNC-Polargraph

I also added control for a servo which can lift the pen which is pretty handy.
The following user(s) said Thank You: robcau, Doogie

More
27 Sep 2014 01:14 #51601 by robcau
Replied by robcau on topic Running Koppi's Toy Bipod
Thanks!

Time to create page: 0.371 seconds