How to publish new developments

More
02 Dec 2014 16:37 - 02 Dec 2014 16:39 #53596 by t1m0n
Hi, I have developed some new parts for linuxcnc and I want to publish them.
I think the parts a very nice and someone will be happy with this:

1. A HAL component to log informations in a csv file
- via gui you can select the values (set points, velocities,... )
- the information will be stored with a time stamp in a csv file

2. A package for additive manufacturing
(it consists of HAL components, gui, scripts and a plc programm to realizie 3d printing with linuxcnc)
- the process is fused layer modeling
- the source code for temperature control is included

But I have no idea were the right place is to do this.
At the linuxcnc wiki? or forum? or at git hub?
Last edit: 02 Dec 2014 16:39 by t1m0n.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
02 Dec 2014 20:17 #53601 by BigJohnT
To reach the most folks I'd use the forum, the wiki, and the mailing lists.

JT

More
02 Dec 2014 22:11 #53604 by andypugh

1. A HAL component to log informations in a csv file
- via gui you can select the values (set points, velocities,... )
- the information will be stored with a time stamp in a csv file

On the face of it this sounds similar to sampler/halsampler, but the mention of a GUI suggests that perhaps it runs 100% in userspace, whereas the sampler/halsampler combination logs synchronously to the thread it is in.
As LinuxCNC also has HALscope (which allows labels to be selected by GUI and data to be saved to a file) it might well be that your logger would not be considered to add enough new things to be included in LinuxCNC. However I am not the one who makes these decisions.
If you want your component to be added to the distribution then the first port of call should be the developers mailing list (details via the "community" tab above.
If you simply want to share your component and don't want to argue for its inclusion then you can add it yourself to the "contributed components" section of the Wiki.
wiki.linuxcnc.org/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?ContributedComponents

2. A package for additive manufacturing
(it consists of HAL components, gui, scripts and a plc programm to realizie 3d printing with linuxcnc)

I don't think that LinuxCNC has a 3D-printing sample configuration, so it might be that this would be a good example setup. To be a valid demo configuration it would need to run on a standard installation, so your custom HAL components would need to be part of the mainstream distribution.
Again, the Developers mailing list would be the preferred place to discuss this.

It would probably be best to start two separate threads on the mailing list for the two separate things.

In either case be prepared for _many_ suggestions of improvements. The developers are perfectionists, except with their own code.

Time to create page: 0.346 seconds