Insert new kinematic configuration into LinuxCNC

More
14 Apr 2015 15:57 - 14 Apr 2015 15:58 #57784 by jstoquica
Good Day,

I am actually working with a forward and Inverse Kinematic of 5 DOF Robotic Arm. Like Puma/Puma560.

I want insert those particular kinematics configuration on LinuxCNC for simulation and real time arm control. I finished the Open Loop of 1 DOF control with LinuxCNC (with HAL and motor specific configuration). Also, I have the forward and inverse kinematic equations of my robotic arm, besides I can compile my linuxcnc version in local mode.

Until now, I don't know if it is better to work with genserkins library or made a new one C library for a particular configuration arm.

Genserkins was developed for at less 6 DOF, for Serial Kinematics Robots (Actually RoboticĀ“s Arm i.e. KUKA, ABB, etc).

1** Is it possible to modify genserkins library for 5 DOF?
1.1* If it is, how can I do that?
1.2* Else, how do you recommend to do for insert a new kinematic configuration in LinuxCNC??

2** LinuxCNC doesn't have many development docs yet for robotics arm.

Regards and thanks for your helpful.
Last edit: 14 Apr 2015 15:58 by jstoquica.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 Apr 2015 17:10 #57788 by ArcEye

1.1* If it is, how can I do that?
1.2* Else, how do you recommend to do for insert a new kinematic configuration in LinuxCNC??

Ideally it would be better to create a new one based upon the genserkins, in so far as it is relevant

You will need to study the sources, because you will note that the Submakefile in src/emc/kinematics builds the genserkins binary and the main Makefile has the listings to build the kinematics kernel modules
It is quite simple to add another rule to the makefiles and then build your new stuff in parallel, without messing up the base code

2** LinuxCNC doesn't have many development docs yet for robotics arm.

You are right, very few people use them and unfortunately those who master them never seem to come back and tell everyone how to do it.

This is a community project, so hopefully you will be the one who writes the definitive docs B)

regards

More
14 Apr 2015 19:07 #57796 by andypugh

I would imagine that you could simply use a dummy joint at one end or the other of the chain, though I haven't tried it.

1.2* Else, how do you recommend to do for insert a new kinematic configuration in LinuxCNC??.

For a simple kinematics file you can compile and install it with comp / halcompile: (it rcently changed name)
www.linuxcnc.org/docs/html/hal/comp.html

The difficulty starts when you need to #include headers in the kins routine, though I can't recall the exact problem. An absolute path from root to the header _ought_ to work.

More
16 Apr 2015 04:56 #57824 by jstoquica
Thanks for the answer.

1. I will read more for to take a decision to use genserkins or develop new C library, according time, resource and other non-technical variables.
2. My idea is insert my robotic arm configuration to LinuxCNC and will do detailed documents for robotic arms.

The difficulty starts when you need to #include headers in the kins routine, though I can't recall the exact problem. An absolute path from root to the header _ought_ to work.

3. I don't understand what is the difficulty that you mentioned, can You explain better please?.

Regards.

More
16 Apr 2015 06:05 #57825 by andypugh

3. I don't understand what is the difficulty that you mentioned, can You explain better please?.

If you make a copy of trivkins with a different name you can comp --install it.
If you try the same thing with genserkins it won't work. Because of #includes, I think.

I can't remember the details.

Time to create page: 0.074 seconds