Lathe Programmable Follower Rest, Turrets, 4-axis

More
13 Jul 2015 19:32 #60610 by seth127
Hi Guys,
I've been trying to figure out how to program a lathe follower rest in linuxcnc but am struggling with this part. I was going to have the tailstock and X/Z table on separate linear guideways like how most cnc lathes do it but then would like to add a follower rest unit on the same rails as the tailstock to keep the workpiece steady. My Length to width ratio is about 36" to 2.75" so I need someway of keeping it centered.
I was thinking about treating the follower rest unit as a separate pair of axis similar to a 4-axis lathe that has two turrets and maybe use the UW axis for this? I was hoping this would make the CAM programming simpler and allow for easier linuxcnc compatibility. I am unfamiliar with linuxcnc programming and have been searching for someone using two turrets or a follower rest in linuxcnc but haven't been able to find anything on this topic. Does anyone know if this is possible or how to do this?
Thanks,
Seth

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 Jul 2015 22:04 - 13 Jul 2015 22:05 #60616 by andypugh
You could set the steady up as a U axis, if that is what you want. Then getting it in the right place is something you do in the G-code.
An alternative might be to set it up as a second physical axis that follows the X-axis command values. (but it using separate tool offsets would be "interesting".)

Why not decide what your ideal behaviour would be, and we can try to think of ways to do it?

On some level it is all just numbers, and you can do anything you fancy with them.
Last edit: 13 Jul 2015 22:05 by andypugh.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.104 seconds