limit homing movement

More
14 Dec 2015 20:47 #66981 by alexfloca
hello all,

I would wish to limit a rotary axis movement during the homing sequence. The axis has only one home switch and can rotate freely to an infinite angle. The only problem is, I wish to limit the axis movement during homing at +/- 180′ (this axis is beeing used as a C axis on a 5 axis router and a movement over 200° in both directions would tear the spindle cable.
I was thinking of trying to home the axis in one direction but if the travel would exceed 200° search for the home swich in the oposite direction. Is this possible without recompiling the linuxcnc?

have a nice day!
alex

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 Dec 2015 21:14 #66982 by andypugh
Replied by andypugh on topic limit homing movement

The only problem is, I wish to limit the axis movement during homing at +/- 180′ (this axis is beeing used as a C axis on a 5 axis router and a movement over 200° in both directions would tear the spindle cable.

Is it possible to set up a very long cam / flag to operate the home switch so that the input is high for half of the travel? Then the homing system can know whether to home to the switch or off of the switch.

If a homing move is longer than the total machine travel then LinuxCNC stops with an error, but if you set the limits small enough to save you in this case then you would not have full axis travel available.

More
14 Dec 2015 21:43 #66984 by Todd Zuercher
Replied by Todd Zuercher on topic limit homing movement
Another option might be to place the home switch a short move from one limit (like 10 degrees), then begin the home sequence with a move of 12 away from the switch, so if it is on the wrong side of it it will be crossed, then continue the home sequence. But I think Andy's cam idea is better.

More
14 Dec 2015 21:49 #66986 by alexfloca
Replied by alexfloca on topic limit homing movement
this is how the problem is solved in the easy way. I am using some rotary units who only have one small reed switch as a homing switch, no other switches and no space for a cam. Homing is performed well as long the operator leaves the machine in the right position or brings it in the right position before homing, but if he forgets about this, the spindle cable could be teared apart. I was also thinking using a comp and "force" homing the axis if the travel during homing excedes a certain value, the operator should notice the homing was not right, correct the position of the C axis and redo the homing.

More
14 Dec 2015 22:13 - 14 Dec 2015 22:13 #66987 by andypugh
Replied by andypugh on topic limit homing movement

was also thinking using a comp and "force" homing the axis if the travel during homing excedes a certain value, the operator should notice the homing was not right, correct the position of the C axis and redo the homing.

You can probably do this by using a mux2 component feeding the output back to one input and the B-axis position-cmd into the other.
linuxcnc.org/docs/2.7/html/man/man9/mux2.9.html
Toggle the mux2 on the axis.N.homing pin. linuxcnc.org/docs/2.7/html/man/man9/motion.9.html
Use a "near" component to detect when the command pos and mux2 output diverge by more than 90 degrees.
use the near.out going false to disable the axis and pop up a message
linuxcnc.org/docs/2.7/html/man/man9/near.9.html
linuxcnc.org/docs/2.7/html/man/man9/message.9.html
Last edit: 14 Dec 2015 22:13 by andypugh.

Time to create page: 0.150 seconds