How to build ATC Carousel in linuxcnc ?

More
17 Jan 2020 18:47 #155069 by rogerxue
This is very helpful, thanks.

I think I'll setup in the following way:
- make the axis B as carousel stepper
- override the M6 command so that it will figure out which tool it try to move to and issue command like G0 B3 to move pocket to position 3
- more spindle movement and drawer bar command to pick up the tool

now, that will make carousel as a standard axis in the UI right? Is there anyway I can hide it as a regular axis from UI?

thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 Jan 2020 20:28 #155079 by andypugh
Don't configure the toolchanger as an axis. It's not really the right way to do it.

More
23 Jan 2020 12:17 #155536 by james891
Hi Andy,

I'm following your carousel setup, I have a stepper to go into position for my ATC that is not set up as an axis. I also dont have an encoder set up(just home) for this stepper. Is it still possible to use the component?

If not, how can I drive the stepper fast from my gcode? I'm looping this but the dwell does not seem to go small enough, my stepper is still slow,no matter how low I go:
M64 P0;ON
G4 P0.00002
M65 P0;OFF
G4 P0.00001

Thanks

More
24 Jan 2020 13:30 #155647 by andypugh
You can drive the stepper by putting the step-generator in velocity mode.
The newer version of the carousel component::
linuxcnc.org/docs/2.8/html/man/man9/carousel.9.html
has an output pin "motor-vel" which, when connected to the stepgen velocity command pin will control the motor at a speed governed by fwd-dc and rev-dc.
(acceleration can be configured as a stepgen parameter)
But, carousel needs _some_ way to know which tool is in place. You could potentially calculate this from actual stepgen steps in HAL. Do you have any spare IO pins?
The following user(s) said Thank You: james891

More
21 Feb 2020 11:21 #158114 by james891
Some reason I didnt get a notification of this reply. I just ended up wasting an axis on my carousel and making it servo. I'll probably never get around to making this a 5 axis machine anyway. If I do, Ill look into this component again. Thanks!

More
31 May 2020 20:42 #169569 by Marcodi

Look at my!!!

I use subroutines like Andypugh post !!

I have a major question. I see you are using a bt30 spindle and toolholders. I am looking to buy one myself, but how do you align the toolholder with the spindle so that the forks fit (aligning those notches ) and the tool can be fixed. I can't really find this googling. Is the spindle handling this itself by turning the toolholder till it fits or do you need to set them perfectly in the toolholder and the spindle orients always the same way or how is this working because my second way of thinking seems like a problem going to happen.

More
31 May 2020 22:03 #169578 by andypugh
You can see that the spindle orients to put the tool in the correct orientation before each tool change.
There are a number of ways to do this. This one appears to be using the spindle motor and encoder feedback, but others might use a mechanical stop.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Marcodi

More
31 May 2020 22:10 #169580 by Marcodi
Thx, so it has to be placed in the correct position. Thanks that explains the next point of action.

More
31 May 2020 23:15 #169584 by tommylight

......... but how do you align the toolholder with the spindle so that the forks fit (aligning those notches ) and the tool can be fixed..

It's called "orient" or spindle orient, it is included with linuxcnc and works with normal spindles just by adding a notch and a sensor.
Some VFD's have that implemented and they come with the spindle, so using that is a simple as sending an orient command and waiting for the spindle is oriented signal from the VFD.

More
01 Jun 2020 10:54 - 01 Jun 2020 10:55 #169645 by 0x2102
I don't mean to hi-jack this thread. I am planning on building my own vertical ATC for my mill. Mine will be similar / close to the org. from the manufacturer. The mill has an extended X axis to reach the tool changer.

Picture from the manufacturer:
File Attachment:

It's vertical 2 by X Tool Changer. So, for example 24 tools in total: tools 1 - 12 on the left side and tools 13 - 24 on the right.

Still trying to figure out what the best approach would be accomplish this type of tool changer.

Any feedback is welcome.
Last edit: 01 Jun 2020 10:55 by 0x2102.

Time to create page: 0.106 seconds