Secondary PWM Output for LASER

More
09 May 2017 00:12 #92891 by Askjerry
An Arduino is not required... That's a lot of wasted I/O and space inside my enclosure. Lucky for me, I can program the Atmel AVR series chips directly... Without all the extra components in the Arduino... And I can use smaller chips too.

I'll program the enable pin as a CHARGE PUMP and look at what it does on my digital O-Scope... Then I'll program a Tiny-13 chip... 8 pins... Power, Ground, and 6 available I/O or 5 I/O and a RESET. They cost about $1 give or take and I have a couple dozen.

I can program one output to act as an ENABLE, one as an input for an external ARM switch, another for a LASER ENABLE that only goes high when both the switch AND the CHARGE PUMP are good. Still have pins left over for a LASER ACTIVE or something... Maybe even put a piezio on it and program a little BEEP when it goes active.

Dunno... See how lazy I get. :-)

Actually... Since these could be useful... Maybe I'll make some "charge pump detector chips". If I do... I'll post the HEX code so anyone can do it.

I'll also work on getting my FL5 configuration and the video online shortly.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
09 May 2017 00:26 #92895 by andypugh

An Arduino is not required... That's a lot of wasted I/O and space.

Absolutely. It's just that I can lay my hands on at least two without even leaving this keyboard :-)

When all you have is a hammer, every problem looks like a nail.

My point was that all those discrete-component circuit layouts in the Wiki make no sense now that µP chips are so cheap and ubiquitous.

More
09 May 2017 00:49 #92901 by Askjerry
Exactly.

May or may not be a couple days until I can get to it. But you know me... I'll dedicate a thread to it so folks can chime in.

Two favorite chips...

Atmel Tiny 13
4N35 Optocouplers

Smoke and mirrors...

More
09 May 2017 20:53 #92951 by Askjerry
Replied by Askjerry on topic Video and data now online.
I haven't played with the charge pump yet... may be awhile until I do... but I had promised to share my files in the event anyone wanted to go through them and see how I did what I did... offer suggestions, or just blatantly grab them for yourselves. B)

All the files for FL5: Frabkenlab 5http://askjerry.info/FRANKENLAB/Frankenlab_Episode_17_LASER/

And... as promised... here it is in action:

What do you think?
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight

More
09 May 2017 21:39 #92953 by tommylight
Looking nice!
Where did you get the laser? How much is it? Can it cut 3mm thick plastic?
That is all i need, cutting plexy would be nice, also, but i would need it to cut 10mm thick, so back to CO2 and i do not like big glas tubes.

More
09 May 2017 22:42 #92960 by Askjerry
I got it from BANGGOOD for about $300 or so.

As for cutting plastic... I don't know. I just got it, and as I don't have a proper ventilation system yet, I would need to take it outside on the front balcony to do stuff like that. May be a couple of weeks at least until that happens... life and work have been beating me up pretty hard lately... I'm trying to get as much done as I can. Once I have a chance to really put it through it's paces I'll let you know.

I shot the video today... first time I ever tried it with the new post processor that I wrote... so not much experience as of yet.

6mm it might do... i seriously doubt it would do 10mm. Not even sure it will do clear plastic... the IR laser won't pass through clear plastic... so it heats it up and vaporizes it. The blue may be in the spectrum where it passes harmlessly through. Honestly... don't know.

If you need a powerful IR laser, look at Epilog... expensive... $20K or so... but they have an aluminum, RF fed sealed tube. Rock solid, no water cooling to deal with... and constant steady power. www.epiloglaser.com

More
10 May 2017 16:56 #92973 by jmelson
Replied by jmelson on topic Video and data now online.
I've seen a shop vac and a long hose used to ventilate a laser cutter. Worked great! Just put the vacuum outside the door.

Jon

More
10 May 2017 19:03 #92985 by Askjerry
I sew... so I'll make a "tent" kinda thing that goes to a blower-fan that I have. I don't need to listen to a noisy vacuum in the office.
The little blower should be so quiet I won't even notice it.

More
22 Sep 2021 06:20 #221328 by ericg
I know this post is very old but it is in line with what I am setting up to do so I hope you don't mind.
My question is, how do you use dmap2gcode to output G67 E0 Qxxxx for use with a pwm signal for use with a laser as in your elizabeth hurley.ngc example?

More
22 Sep 2021 12:07 #221335 by tommylight
Edit the dmap2gcode.py so it puts that instead of Z stuff.

Time to create page: 0.092 seconds