running linux cnc with no display - some questions

More
02 Apr 2022 14:55 #239072 by gmr
For the next person who finds this post, in 2.8.2 (at least), you can write

DISPLAY=dummy

In the [DISPLAY] section of the ini file.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
07 Apr 2022 20:51 - 07 Apr 2022 20:51 #239586 by andypugh
DISPLAY = halui

Also works.
Last edit: 07 Apr 2022 20:51 by andypugh.

More
15 Apr 2023 17:54 #269137 by iforce2d
fwiw I'm trying this with 2.8.4 and if I set "DISPLAY = halui" I get this error:
    HAL: ERROR: duplicate component name 'halui'
    HALUI: ERROR: hal_init() failed
    emc/usr_intf/halui.cc 2299: hal_init error
    Shutting down and cleaning up LinuxCNC...
To avoid the error it seems I need to comment out this line further down:
    HALUI = halui

Alternatively, the "DISPLAY = dummy" suggested above works as a one-line change.

More
04 Jul 2023 17:47 - 04 Jul 2023 18:01 #274762 by iforce2d
I have been doing some experimenting in this area recently so I thought I would share a bit. My goal is to have a completely headless installation that I can operate with just physical buttons, encoder for jogging etc. I will be running the same job over and over so the file only needs to be specified very infrequently. Initially I will have to SSH in to start it and set the file of course.

To start LinuxCNC running with no display and then be able to close out the terminal leaving it running, set the [DISPLAY]DISPLAY value to 'dummy'  in your .ini file. Then you can make a copy of the startup script file /usr/bin/linuxcnc (I copied it to /usr/bin/linuxcnc-headless) and comment out a couple of lines right near the end. Commenting these out will skip the step where it would normally wait for user input to continue, and then also skip the shutdown procedure:

ffs.... what is wrong with this forum??!?!?!?!?!! EVERY time I post here (especially to edit an existing post) the format gets all messed up or something disappears!!! It has been like this for years. This time I had a whole explanation written out and now most of it is gone, and right now I cannot be bothered writing it all again sorry. I will just put the video link and the github link, it might explain the overall idea well enough, let me know if anything is not clear and maybe I can answer after I calm down.
github.com/iforce2d/linuxcnc-gcode-server
Attachments:
Last edit: 04 Jul 2023 18:01 by iforce2d. Reason: Forum trolling me yet again, deleted half my post
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight

More
04 Jul 2023 17:54 #274763 by tommylight
Make a new post and add the video again.
Thank you.

Time to create page: 0.183 seconds