Tool setting frustration

More
14 Oct 2019 06:01 #147848 by phillc54
Replied by phillc54 on topic Tool setting frustration

Well that's where the file is that you told me I needed to edit. It was no where else.

???

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 Oct 2019 06:04 #147849 by Scot
Replied by Scot on topic Tool setting frustration
Lines added. axis_manualtoolchange.hal file deleted from hallib as directed.

EXACTLY the same response.

T4 M6 G43 was input into the MDI line and LinuxCNC locks up and the "Tool Touch Off" Button was not enabled.

Square one.

More
14 Oct 2019 06:06 #147850 by Scot
You told me to the axis_manualtoolchange.hal file. It was in the hallib file that's in the Scot_Lathe1 config file.

That file you told me to edit was no where else.

More
14 Oct 2019 06:10 #147851 by phillc54
I didn't tell you to edit the manualtoolchange file, just that you could use it for a tool change then you decided that you didn't want to use it which is understandable given your tool arrangement.

I will download a LinuxCNC V2.7 and try to see what is happening.

More
14 Oct 2019 06:24 #147852 by Scot
Below is your is instruction, it clearly says that I'm to go through ALL my hal files comment out those lines. I went through all my hal files, including those in the hallib file. Then I commented those lines out. That's editing. I also didn't tell you that I didn't want to do it. I was unsure of where to look. So I looked EVERYWHERE.

I understand you're trying to help me. But there's some confusion as to how that help is being conveyed. Please do not take this as an attack. It is not. There are hal files all over the place and I understand that linux looks at all kinds of files to gather what it needs. But I don't understand much of the meaning behind the code. So I went literally. I checked ALL of them. Those lines of code were in that hallib file in the axis_manualtoolchange.hal file. That's where I commented things out.

Now it's very possible in my moving things that I fudged things up. I'm sure I can fix it though and you've helped a ton. THANKYOU. Don't give up on me yet! This lathe is so close that I think I may even have steel chips suck to my shoes.

Axis manualtoolchange is meant to go in a hal file not the ini file.

Go through all your hal files and comment out any line like:

loadusr -W hal_manualtoolchange

and also comment out any line referring to:

iocontrol.0.tool-blah

and also comment out any line referring to:

hal_manualtoolchange

Add the two lines in this post and you should be good to go.

Edit: Without seeing your config I have no clue what your hallib file is for, is it referenced in your ini file?

More
14 Oct 2019 07:10 #147856 by phillc54
Well I built 2.7 and used your ini file to create a sim and it works as expected. A copy is attached.
If you look at core_sim.hal it has the tool change requirements.
Give this a try and see if it works for you.

Before you try this, run your existing config and when it loads click Machine in the menu bar, click Show Hal Configuration, in the new window click signals. Find tool:prep and tool:change, click on each of them and they should show the iocontrol.0.toll-blah pins that you entered into Scot_Lathe1_univpwm_io.hal

Are you running LinuxCNC from a terminal or from a shortcut?

Lines added. axis_manualtoolchange.hal file deleted from hallib as directed.

I said "you can delete hallib and axis_manuatoolchange.hal from this directory, they are not required", "this" meaning the directory you posted

Edit Scot_Lathe1_univpwm_io.hal and add to the end:

# toolchange passthrough
net tool:change iocontrol.0.tool-change  => iocontrol.0.tool-changed
net tool:prep   iocontrol.0.tool-prepare => iocontrol.0.tool-prepared
you can delete hallib and axis_manuatoolchange.hal from this directory, they are not required

Yes, we seem to have a communication problem...
Attachments:

More
14 Oct 2019 17:08 #147873 by OT-CNC
Replied by OT-CNC on topic Tool setting frustration
Hi phillc54,

Thanks for helping out Scot. I'm interested to see what else is off with the hal and ini configs I tried helping him with earlier.
If you need to look over what we worked with originally, it can be found here:

forum.linuxcnc.org/10-advanced-configura...tion?start=10#147231
The following user(s) said Thank You: Scot

More
14 Oct 2019 17:55 #147878 by Scot
Thanks for your help, too.

This problem I'm having is getting my goat. I am so close. Much of how close I am is due to you.

I'd like to pick your brain off list, too. If that's something you're not opposed to, can we email directly?

Since you have a gang tool lathe, you know more than I do about how it works with LinuxCNC. I'm having a ton of trouble with certain concepts. How the system handles tool offsets is one of those.

I'd message you directly about it, but I can't seem to find that option. I'm pretty new to this forum. So if that's something which exists, I'd love to see it.

Scot

More
14 Oct 2019 18:33 #147879 by OT-CNC
Replied by OT-CNC on topic Tool setting frustration
Scot,

PMs don't exist. I thought was something part of connections.

I think with the forum help we will get this working. Your buttons not working and locking up sure doesn't sound correct. Were you able to sort that out what phillc54 suggested?
The following user(s) said Thank You: Scot

More
14 Oct 2019 18:53 #147882 by Scot
"PMs don't exist. I thought was something part of connections."

Yes, I saw that. But I figured I would ask in case I was missing something. Would you mind if I added you as a connection, since we run the same type of machine? We operate some odd ducks with Gang Tool lathes.

"I think with the forum help we will get this working. Your buttons not working and locking up sure doesn't sound correct. Were you able to sort that out what phillc54 suggested? "

He tried. And I'm sure it would work with another configuration. But I talked to Jon at Pico Systems about this today and he explained that there is code which he didn't apply to his files, regarding to the fix. So Phil's help didn't work. Jon and I are working on it. But I can tell you this, it's frustrating as can be when a portion of the system doesn't work and the part that is not working is stopping you from testing the process to make something happen.

Thanks for the reply. It gets kind of lonely out here when I hit a wall.

Scot

Time to create page: 0.157 seconds