Have anyone tested Xanmod PREEMPT_RT

More
10 Jan 2020 17:30 #154562 by Moronicsmurf
This is a alternative spin off from the linux main kernel. And offers some serious optimization for desktop computers in general, and they do carry a preempt_rt version that is targeted for realtime application like stock market and such. So im thinking this might be a valid test for linuxcnc as well and will start digging into it.

xanmod.org/

Now to my question, have anyone else tried to use this already??

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 Jan 2020 20:38 #154574 by tommylight
I just did, it does not work as it is not fully preemptable and the latency is terrible.
On the other side, the desktop use feels much snappier !
Linuxcnc reports it as non realtime.

More
10 Jan 2020 21:04 #154582 by andypugh

Did you compile LinuxCNC on that machine?

It is possible that LinuxCNC simply didn't recognise the realtime system.

More
11 Jan 2020 18:46 #154630 by Moronicsmurf
I've tried it now. and i find its really snappy actually and did get good latency numbers in the end.

I had todo as Andy suggested and manually compile linuxcnc with that kernel to make it work and have it understand it was a fully preempt kernel.

The preempt parts look codewise as linux vanilla kernel with some slight modifications which i wont even claim to understand what they are really doing.
It was less than 10 lines changed in the diff. Rest of the Xanmod makes the desktop suuuper responsive tho.

Anyone else with more linuxcnc experience than me should take a stab at it as well. I was mainly looking at it to make my chinese mini computer behave like a computer instead like a brick as it does on the linuxcnc iso. (works, but really slow and not enjoyable to use).

More
11 Jan 2020 22:25 #154645 by tommylight

Did you compile LinuxCNC on that machine?

It is possible that LinuxCNC simply didn't recognise the realtime system.

That might be the reason as i see i have another kernel on this PC, i have 6 SSD that i use so i am not sure what is where. Will have a go at it tomorrow and report back.
It would be really nice if it does work as the difference is quite noticeable.
Thank you, all.

Time to create page: 0.326 seconds