Non-circular boring. (Linuxcnc fun)

More
23 Mar 2020 16:07 #161229 by Abros
Brilliant work

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
23 Mar 2020 19:44 #161259 by rodw

Really cool stuff, for now my mill is only 10% finished so i can't play with your component but i'm really impatient.

Actually i try to include (difficult to understand) to my lathe config something similar done by andypugh for excentric turning (oval + polygon).

I'm waiting for other reply lol

Br

On a version of Linuxcnc 2.8 and above, there will be a number of sims installed on your system you can play with using external offsets. Pretty sure that is what Andy used here to offset the axis based on the spindle position.

More
23 Mar 2020 20:28 #161274 by skunkworks
I also output actual position offsets for using the 'offset' component and limit3. I tested it and it seems to work very much the same.

Really cool stuff, for now my mill is only 10% finished so i can't play with your component but i'm really impatient.

Actually i try to include (difficult to understand) to my lathe config something similar done by andypugh for excentric turning (oval + polygon).

I'm waiting for other reply lol

Br

On a version of Linuxcnc 2.8 and above, there will be a number of sims installed on your system you can play with using external offsets. Pretty sure that is what Andy used here to offset the axis based on the spindle position.

More
30 Mar 2020 02:40 #162048 by skunkworks
More fun.. Aluminum!

You can see the spindle encoder resolution.

The following user(s) said Thank You: phillc54, arvidb

More
30 Mar 2020 02:44 #162049 by cmorley
It does an amazing jog in the corners.
Linuxcnc is pretty damn cool.
What the next challenge...
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight

More
30 Mar 2020 02:50 #162052 by skunkworks
Isn't it? I would like to add a bit more functionality to the comp.. I would like to make it cut outside polygons. (not that you really need to on a mill - but on the lathe it would be cool.) I would also like to add a rotation per z movement. A coworker mentioned it - You should be able to create a twisted polygon. (I think it would be cool to make a 'nut and bolt' that was a twisted hex..)

Don't know why... Because?

It does an amazing jog in the corners.
Linuxcnc is pretty damn cool.
What the next challenge...

More
30 Mar 2020 02:57 #162053 by cmorley
outside polys could be interesting for building a driving square inside a bore - rare but interesting.
So no gcode for this right?
If that is the case a M code to turn it on and off would be handy.

Chris

More
30 Mar 2020 02:58 #162054 by cmorley
oh outside poly for making molds too .. opens up possibilities

More
30 Mar 2020 03:09 #162055 by skunkworks
I think packaged up in a nice re-map would be good. But currently I am just setting hal pins from gcode (m64/65 and such for enabling/diabling and so on). if you are slaving the x axis to the radius of the polygon - then yes - gcode 'modifies' the motion.

oh outside poly for making molds too .. opens up possibilities

More
30 Mar 2020 10:38 - 30 Mar 2020 10:44 #162094 by alkabal
Hi

I see you speak about lathe, did you think your actual .comp can work with lathe ? Can you think about including oval/eccentric ?

I will like to do a gladevcp panel like Andy lathe-macro for polygon/oval/eccentric but for now this is less than a beta. (started without your comp)
EMBED_TAB_NAME = Polygon/Oval
EMBED_TAB_LOCATION = ntb_preview 
EMBED_TAB_COMMAND = gladevcp -u ./python/lathpolygonhandler.py -x {XID} ./lathepolygonmacro-fr-numpad.ui

Br
Attachments:
Last edit: 30 Mar 2020 10:44 by alkabal.

Time to create page: 0.119 seconds