Linuxcnc 2.8, Mesa 7i76e and Rotary Switches

More
30 May 2020 20:48 #169456 by esarworks
Hello -

I am setting up a new 7i76e to replace my 10-year old 5i20 setup and need some assistance

I used PNCCONF to generate the configuration and assigned input pins for Axis Select and Jog Increments because I wanted to use a simple 4 position rotary switch to select the axis and jog increments, I don't want to use an MPG to do this because I already have a USB Jog pendant (XHC-HB04) and don't need any additional MPGs.

When I send a signal to the pin in question either using GND or FIELD VOLTAGE the pin does not change value TRUE/FALSE. I am hoping its a simple case of not knowing how to wire a rotary switch correctly to the pin in question.

I am using AXIS for display but I am not opposed to switching to some other GUI to get this to work.

Any thoughts ? Thanks.

-ali

P.S. I have been using Linuxcnc since before 2008 - since pre-HAL EMC2 era, this just happens to be my first post to the forum. And now that I have finally joined the forum, I will post more details on my SX3 conversion. In the meantime you can see some content at the esarworks YouTube channel. esarworks CNC Conversion

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
30 May 2020 20:55 #169457 by tommylight
Just to be sure, the physical pin 1 on the 7i76 header is pin 00 in hal, and so on.

More
31 May 2020 18:39 #169541 by esarworks
Hi -

Its a 7i76e, and I am watching the Signal from Hal meter so I don't think the pin numbering is significant.

Here is an example screenshot from a Virtual Machine, since I am not near the real system.

-ali
Attachments:

More
31 May 2020 18:43 #169542 by tommylight
Right, but that signal has to be wired to some pin in hal, since you are sending the voltage/signal to a pin.
So first check if the pin is changing state, at least that would point to the issue in hal, not in hardware and wiring.

Time to create page: 0.258 seconds