How can changes to Milltask pins be saved?

More
14 Jun 2021 11:08 - 15 Jun 2021 14:56 #212021 by anfänger
Hi,

I am retrofitting a lathe at the moment. And the Hard wired limit switches won‘t prevent running into the tailstock.
So I was thinking about overwriting the soft limits in the gui. But how can i store these and set them after restart

Thanks Patrick
Last edit: 15 Jun 2021 14:56 by anfänger.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 Jun 2021 23:34 - 18 Jun 2021 12:33 #212157 by andypugh
I don't know of a built-in way to do it.

But, one clunky way would be ti use an M100 code in "Startup G-codes" that is a Python script that reads from a file and sets the ini.Z.max-limit etc HAL pins accordingly.

What would you anticipate changing the values? ie when does the input file need to be updated and saved?

(Or have you considered fitting a proximity sensor to the back of the carriage that detects the tailstock?)
Last edit: 18 Jun 2021 12:33 by andypugh.

More
16 Jun 2021 06:27 - 16 Jun 2021 06:27 #212179 by anfänger
Thanks for your suggestions

I am thinking about having a rail for the cams the trip the estop switches. I have four of them per axis and only two are used at the moment. But if I can do it with soft limits I also know when running a program if it would exceed the allowed travel.
If there are no on board solutions I will opt for custom g-code.
But I thought this might be not an to uncommon problem so there would be a build in solution.

For the sensor an the carriage I was not sure how and where to mount it. I was also thinking about mounting one on the tail stock it self but there I need a way to route the cable.

With the rail Solution I can also move the cams to stay clear of the chuck or a steady rest.

I would write two scripts one for startup to set the the limit from the gui and place it somewhere in the offset page.
Last edit: 16 Jun 2021 06:27 by anfänger.

More
18 Jun 2021 12:36 #212329 by andypugh
As well as using an M100, you could also potentially just "loadusr" a Python script in the HAL which loaded in the end stop positions.
The script would have to pretend to be a HAL component (and issue a hal_ready() signal).
It could also potentially handle a SIGTERM signal, and copy back the values from the HAL to the file on exit.

More
18 Jun 2021 13:42 #212332 by anfänger
I have a script that starts and stops my aircompressor and offers a hal pin to control the drain valve. I think I should be able to adjust it.
I use atexit I think I will play with it a bit.

Time to create page: 0.121 seconds