Single board computer GPIO HAL?

More
16 Dec 2021 03:08 #229176 by blazini36
So I just picked up a couple of these www.seeedstudio.com/ODYSSEY-X86J4125864-TELEC-p-4918.html .

I didn't get this setup for anything yet, but I've used a couple of other x86 SBCs like this as well with built in GPIO. This one has Raspberry Pi and Arduino style GPIO headers. The Arduino header is a SAMD chip and I think it's connected through USB so it's probably not useful. The Rpi header is accessible in the bios so it's probably a bit more capable. Is there any chance of getting the hal_pi_gpio component or whatever else running on this. Not expecting outrageous performance, but if I can get it running I'd like to test it.
wiki.seeedstudio.com/ODYSSEY-X86J4105-GPIO/

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 Dec 2021 10:41 #229184 by andypugh
Is the GPIO memory-mapped?

A HAL driver is probably pretty easy, but you need some basic documentation. What do you have?

More
16 Dec 2021 11:04 #229185 by ALittleOffTheRails

More
16 Dec 2021 15:05 #229194 by blazini36
I don't have any documentation at the moment other than what's in that Seeed link, from the sound of it it may be difficult to obtain. I posted on the Intel forum, I'll see how that goes (if it's as lousy as the support on TI's forums it won't go well). Has Intel GPIO ever been used in LinuxCNC?

Most of these GPIO pins appear under /sys/class/gpio which means there is some kind of driver, is this of any use?

More
17 Dec 2021 08:28 #229277 by Mike_Eitel
Hi
I bought one when they came out. After some mails with the support I gave up.
My impression is that they produced something with very nice hw quality, but no real knowledge of bios plus driver etc. understatement. Tried to know how this arduino pin header is connected. Got obscure answer that this is a "Intel" thing and they did not made the "sw-connection" themselves..
Real pity, would be ideal for lcnc.
Mike

More
17 Dec 2021 13:59 #229292 by blazini36
The Arduino connector almost certainly is connected through USB. That's not explicitly stated but there is a couple things here that give it away. wiki.seeedstudio.com/ODYSSEY-X86J4105-Firmata/ . The RPI header is different though, hopefully someone who knows better than I do can chime in but I believe the RPI header comes straight off the Intel CPU and the pins are shown in /sys/class/gpio which I suppose means they are using the Linux GPIO driver. Does this mean they are "memory mapped"?

I agree, Seeed is a little weird when it comes to support or answering questions but they do have cool gizmos. I didn't buy this thing for the GPIO, I bought a couple because I need Small x86 PCs for machine control, I've been using Odroid H2's but availability on those has been spotty for months. I just figure since the thing does have GPIO, some of which may be competent in LinuxCNC, it's be nice to get it working in HAL to see if it's worth using on a smaller machine.

More
17 Dec 2021 14:25 #229293 by Mike_Eitel
My "impression" was that they are not real hw connected but by some "sw-glue" with is only known and supported by Intel. I could not even convince them to get a raw shema or box-diagram. So this thing is sitting on my bench, unused, having original w10 in internal disk, a lcnc on m2 and a rtai lcnc on external ssd. All quite 1.5 years old and not up to date. I also have a pci adapter, I tented for running different lpt boards. Idea was to have a universal "test" system on my bench with 7i76e, plus 7i42, plus a simple lpt with tmc2209. But lost the fun in it.
Mike

More
17 Dec 2021 17:42 #229317 by blazini36
That is probably not the case. All Intel (and probably all other) CPU/chipsets contain GPIO. Usually the maker of the motherboard writes a bios that defines the purpose of the GPIO. Those GPIO pins are not normally used for GPIO like we use it around here but that doesn't necessarily mean it can't be.

I'm pretty sure Seeed is a Chinese company. I don't think they have knowledgeable English speaking people around to answer questions like this. Intel has documentation on these things and I've found references to GPIO configuration tools but alot of it requires privilege with Intel that we just wouldn't have. It's pretty likely that these GPIO pins come straight off the PCH, I found document #633935-005 that explains some things about the GPIO, but nothing specific like hardware registers or anything like that. The bios itself does reference the pin numbers and these likely correspond directly with the chipset pins.

This will probably go nowhere since I doubt many people around here picked up one of these boards. There's a couple of guys on the machinekit forum that are wizards about stuff like this, but that group seems pretty dead lately. Posted over there to see what they think.

More
17 Dec 2021 19:06 #229330 by blazini36
Ok, Yeah Intel responded to me and I found the datasheet for Gemini Lake CPUs. I think I had to log in so I don't know if I can share it publicly but it contains the pin assignments and register map for the SOC and it looks like all the bios pin referenced correspond directly with the SOC pins listed in the datasheet.

Question is, what is Intel SOC GPIO capable of?

More
17 Dec 2021 19:15 #229332 by rodw

I've been using Odroid H2's but availability on those has been spotty for months. I just figure since the thing does have GPIO, 

The Odroid H2+ has been discontinued due to lack of CPU supply.

Very disappointing but these seem a nice substitute.

Time to create page: 0.782 seconds