Probe screen v2 - malfunction?

More
20 Dec 2021 23:41 - 20 Dec 2021 23:45 #229581 by Marcodi
Hi everyone,

It's been a while I posted on the forum, thumbs up for linuxcnc as it works flawlessly.
Until.... I have the probe screen installed, fully functional, but I have crashed 2 probes now (they don't come cheap) so I want to ask how to resolve the reason why it happens.

Axis interface. Gladevcp . Tab probe screen.

So whenever you are inside of the probe screen and you use the keyboard numbers 2-8 4-6 and 3-9. The machine starts moving in the appropriate direction without stopping until it hits a limit switch. Meaning If you tap 9, the Z axis will move down and hopelessly crash and pulverize the probe. Or any other number will start moving sideways running the probe possibly in the fixtures, I had some close calles and some definite hits and to stop the movement nothing works except e-stop and hitting the opposite direction just makes the machine go the opposite way untill limit switch. Very frustrating.
I am so used to move the machine with keypad that it's second habbit to me and I forget to move out of the probe screen before I push the numbers, hence the crashing of probes. 

So could anyone please guide me through a possible solution. Possibly disable the keypad while in probe screen for example and ideally how to get the xhc pendant working after a probe operation. Cause before probe operation xhc pendant works. After probe operation it doesn't so that makes it necessary to use the keypad with all unintended stupidities happening.

I hope someone can shed some light on this behaviour as it seems to me that I can't be the only one who crashes and burns our expensive probes this way. And I can not believe the designer intended for this kind of behaviour on a CNC machine.

Thanks for any help from the deepest pockets of my wallet :)

Last edit: 20 Dec 2021 23:45 by Marcodi.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
21 Dec 2021 18:34 #229640 by itsme
I think my machine stops in any mode when the probe is accidentally triggered in a not probing move, but I will check...
How is your probe wired?

More
21 Dec 2021 19:38 #229647 by Marcodi
Well my probe is connected to my other z-height tools, it only has two wires so it is wired as an NC contact.

But the idea that if a probe gets triggered when not in active probe mode it would help. Although I doubt my machine would be able to come to such a sudden stop when z axis is moving down at 8000 feedrate without damaging the probe.

How did you set it to stop machine on accidental trigger?

More
21 Dec 2021 19:45 #229648 by itsme
I also have it wired with my z-probe, but i think it is NO...
I just installed probe-screen-ng:
github.com/linuxcnc-probe-screen/probe-screen-ng

More
21 Dec 2021 21:12 #229655 by andypugh

How did you set it to stop machine on accidental trigger?

I thought it was built-in behaviour. 

Try jogging then touch the probe tip by hand. You should see a message "probe tripped on non-probe move"

Back to the main issue, is the problem that normal keyboard jogging starts, but then does not stop when the key is released? 
ie, are you seeing normal jog behaviour, or does it seem that Probe-Screen is itself reponding to key presses? 

FWIW I would recommend simply not using the keyboard for jogging, it is much more reliable to use an MPG, preferably one hooked in to the realtime layers. (it, to the motion.... pins rather that halui.... ) 

More
21 Dec 2021 23:54 #229681 by Marcodi
My mpg doesn't act after a probe action. Xhc pendant. Otherwise I would use that, but as that doesn't start working until I touch the keypad. This stupid actions happen.

Maybe it has been solved in more recent versions.

More
22 Dec 2021 02:20 - 22 Dec 2021 02:22 #229690 by cmorley
There are specific times the a probe trip will and won't cause an error if tripped, unfortunately I forget the cafeteria.
It may be when feeding it will , when rapid-ing it won't

But your problem sounds related to the gladevcp panel rather then the probe.
Keystroke forwarding (from gladevcp to AXIS) has been a problem in the past.
Last edit: 22 Dec 2021 02:22 by cmorley.

More
01 Feb 2022 19:28 #233734 by hIGGI
Looks like i have same issue with crashing probe (and xhc pendant), maybe is it relevant (config for pendant interfering with config for probe)?

More
11 Feb 2022 13:16 #234570 by CBollweg
Hello, I have the same problem. When I move the handwheel and the probe trips, the mascine doesn't stop. I found a solution with MUX2 in an old wiki and am trying to find a solution with the motion.motion-type. Maybe someone has already done this?
Would be grateful for any help to avoid expensive mistakes in the future. Thanks in advance

Christian

Time to create page: 0.119 seconds