Two Joints for Z Axis

More
04 Apr 2022 17:33 #239267 by anfänger
Hi I am retrofitting my Picomax found a 740mm gals scale in my spare parts box and I am wondering If I can use it to enhance my Z axis

File Attachment:

This is my machine an the quill is controlled by a servo and has 400 mm of travel. And is the normal Z axis right now.
But I can Oslo Move the whole column 720mm but it has no scales at the moment. It is not controlledlike an cnc axis.
I have four limit switches which van be set by moving notches so I can move the column with four M codes to these preset positions.
But I can also move between the preset positions kind of free.
These M-Codes first unclamp the column and then Move the Column and then clamp it again.
My idea is to add the glas scales to the column, So I now exactly how much the Column moves and I don't have to re zero the Z axis after movement.
On the other hand I want only the quill to be sonsicered when checking for Z axis limits while checking the range of motion for cutting. Caus I can't move the column while cutting.
This way I can write one program for each tool and move the column between tool when needed without resetting the WCS.

Is there a way to set this up ind linuxcnc?

A dream would be to check the range of motion for one tool and then set the column height for cutting with the tool change. But I guess this is not possible. 

Thanks Patrick

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
05 Apr 2022 19:47 #239371 by andypugh
Replied by andypugh on topic Two Joints for Z Axis
You can probably just add the scale and the quill feedback together. That means that the quill will move down to keep a constant height above the table, so you would probably want to program a quill move up when moving the table down.
You would almost certainly want to change the joint limits at the same time too. (you can now do this with the INI hal pins.)
The following user(s) said Thank You: anfänger

More
07 Apr 2022 08:20 #239518 by anfänger
Replied by anfänger on topic Two Joints for Z Axis
Thanks.
Still need to wrap my head around it a bit.
I don't want to home the column, so I need a way to reset the encoder position on startup.
The column doesn't move, It is clamped, except when planing to move.
The rest sounds like it can be done with offset hal.

This way I can get the basic the current functions running without resetting my wcs.

Next step (Ok first the machine need to run, then the Column-Encoder) would be to find a way to move the column to a specific height without changing the brake amplifier to vfd. I might be a bit to slow in python.
But maybe could be done with wcomp and gcode and a bit dailing in. It doesn't need to be exact +- 1mm should be more than enough. But giving the speed in which the column moves I guess -+0,2mm should be possible.

Time to create page: 0.079 seconds