Manual tool change + tool probe

More
12 Jan 2023 13:13 #261694 by Axolito
Hello,
(I don't speak English very well, I hope you will forgive me)
I have just finished building a mini CNC with LinuxCNC.
I use a BOB for parallel port and the Gmoccapy user interface.
I attached a push button to my board to be used as a tool length measurement probe (I know it won't be accurate, but waiting for better).
My spindle uses an ER11 tool holder. For the moment I don't mind changing tools by hand.

I followed the instructions on this page to get the manual tool change from Gmoccapy and remap M6 to take a measurement at each tool change:
linuxcnc.org/docs/html/gui/gmoccapy.html...uto-tool-measurement

But this procedure doesn't seem to fit my use. I tried to change some settings in the .NGC file of the subroutine, but without success.
Here is how I would like to use my machine:
- mount any tool or keep the one already installed
- jog exactly where I want to start my machining on my block (on top)
- do the zero part (X - Y - Z)
- start my program

I would like all following tool changes to apply the offset according to the first tool (which was used for the part origin).

So I would need some guidance in modifying the tool change and tool measurement routine.

Thanks in advance

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 Jan 2023 10:10 #261912 by andypugh
This might take some careful experimentation possibly with a drinking straw or similar for a "tool". But if you set the length of the loaded tool to zero before touching-off you might get what you want. (See the docs on G10 for how to do this in the MDI window)
Touching-off basicaly does a G10, but there are four ways that it can operate (L1, L2, L10, L20)

More
14 Jan 2023 18:19 #261966 by Axolito
Thank you for this answer.
I had read the documentation on G codes, but I didn't fully understand the difference between the different variants of G10.
I understood that some act on the part origin and others on the tool table, but the details and nuances I did not understand.

Time to create page: 0.064 seconds