linuxcnc + press brake retrofit with servo proportional valves

More
29 Mar 2023 14:37 - 29 Mar 2023 14:38 #267813 by santy
Hi guys!

I have a few old machines with dead controls, one of them is a press brake with fully functional hydraulics but the main chip was defective. For the sake of learning linuxcnc i am trying to retrofit these machines, now it's time for the press brake.As i've done my homework, i found out this system is driven by a proportional valve which receives a given voltage to let the hydraulic be fully closed, or open.For this i've been searching a mesa card that can provide this analog output, and couple it with a linear encoder, to better tune the movement of this new "axis".Although this seemed simple at first, after opening the press brake i found the proportional valve is "many valves" and i can't seem to find a way to "hack" into this system and add my own connections.I found out that this is driven by a bosch PL6 0811405060, but i'm not sure as to what all the valves are doing.There is also a panel of resistances which have a label matching each of the valves near the hydraulic pump, so i can figure they are related.There are not any manuals available for the press brake, so i'm trying to get some hints on the web as to what i could do to start this retrofit ! 

Last edit: 29 Mar 2023 14:38 by santy.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
29 Mar 2023 15:28 #267819 by andypugh
A lot of the valves are likely to be related to flow management rather than the proportioning system, though it is possible that they are playing a clever game with opening various orifices in different combinations.

I suppose it is too much to ask that there be a hydraulic circuit diagram?

To elaborate on the orifice idea, if you have an array of 4 valves each of which allows twice the flow of the next, then you can take a binary 0-16 number and convert it to valve open/close to have 16 different flow rates.

More
29 Mar 2023 17:56 #267832 by santy
no, i don't have any information on the machine...

So you are suggesting that although the proportional valve will enable it to open/close proportionally to the applied voltage, the other valves might be allowing for different speeds of closing/opening?

i was thinking maybe if i generate an analog signal with mesa card and control the servos i can get it to work, but what i'm having trouble figuring out is all the other electronics and what do they do.

i'm sure the main board is the only damaged component but are no replacements on the market as it is quite old.

the mechanism being used in the proportional is this one: www.kanflu.com/assets/Uploads/SERVO-VALV...FEEDBACK-RE29028.pdf

More
29 Mar 2023 18:09 #267835 by andypugh
OK, so you have actually found a true proportional valve. I thought that what you were saying was that you could not find it, and had only several normal valves.

Does the Bosh board work? That is, itself, a servo amplifier, which works to set the proportional valve position according to feedback from an LVDT. If that is not working then all is not lost, but there is more to be done.

LVDTs output a variable AC voltage, so to measure the position you just need a perfect rectifier and an A/D converter. (you can make a perfect rectifier with an op-amp, that part is not too hard, I have done it)
But if the control board is working, you don't need to worry about that.

If it isn't working, then you could move that control loop into LinuxCNC HAL too.

More
29 Mar 2023 18:15 #267836 by santy
yes, this bosch board is good. what wasn't good was the main control board where you put the cnc code

i see what you mean, there are several amplifier components inside.

but in that case, what would the other valves do?

i'll try and find enough docs on the bosch board and try to simulate the signals that the main board should send to this bosch controller, to try to simulate the system. this will be complicated!

More
29 Mar 2023 18:31 #267837 by andypugh
Are there any other actuators? Back fence? clamps?

Some will be for things like preventing the brake from closing if the power goes off, and generally managing the hydraulic system.

More
29 Mar 2023 19:17 - 29 Mar 2023 19:20 #267847 by rmu
Bosch makes complete valve assemblies for press brakes, maybe you can find documentation of a similar system. My press brake has a similar valve assembly, which is connected to some sort of servo amplifier (a different), which takes a 0-10V signal from the numerical control IO board. The rest is mostly self-contained, so the valve block doesn't need a bunch of IOs, just one or two IIRC. So I wouldn't be surprised if this Bosch PL6 0811405060 also takes a 0-10V signal.

If the original control is still around you could do some forensics on the control board and look for DACs and voltage references.
Last edit: 29 Mar 2023 19:20 by rmu.

More
29 Mar 2023 19:31 #267848 by rmu
manuals available here store.boschrexroth.com/Hydraulics/Electr...11405060?cclcl=en_US

it seems to take indeed 0-10V or +-10V inputs (selectable?)

More
29 Mar 2023 20:49 #267859 by santy
yes,, this is my best guess. try and connect the original board and look for anything that might work, to try and adapt it to a mesa card.

Time to create page: 0.086 seconds