Hurco BMC 20 Ultimax 3 Retrofit

More
30 Dec 2015 12:01 #67504 by andypugh

Servo 1021419, 173278
Base 52365, 27403.

If you are using the Pico PPMC then you don't need a base thread.
I don't know if that will help.

173uS is quite a lot of latency, but the system might still work OK because you have hardware doing the tight realtime.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
30 Dec 2015 12:03 #67505 by andypugh

There are some items items like orient complete, orient command, ( assuming these are associated with tool changes). It looks like it calls for the commands and confirms it's there.

In the hardware?

In a lInuxCNC installation you would normally handle all that logic and interlocking in HAL.

More
30 Dec 2015 18:02 #67525 by Jake
Thanks Andy,

I am going to work on the latency a bit more this week and weekend. I think I am about done with all my drawings and can get back to chasing wires and hooking things up. I do have a couple machines from a friend to try out to see if the latency is shorter on those. It seems to be a dell thing as multiple machines that are in the latency database that are Dells have long latency. I wonder if there is something in the BIOS that is causing it. I may swap video cards around to see if that helps at all also.

I need to write the code for the analog to digital conversion for the torque meters also, I wish I could get into the servopacks and grab that signal before it is converted to analog. But it appears the DAC's are buried in there.

I was thinking about using HAL ladder or something to set the interlocks up. It appears that the orient is to get the spindle in the right spot to be able to make a tool change.

Altium is making me mad today as I can not figure out how to modify a schematic library component, as I missed a pin and need to add one.

More
30 Dec 2015 18:20 #67526 by andypugh

I am going to work on the latency a bit more this week and weekend.

I think that there are more productive things to do, to be honest. It's probably OK. If it isn't then a different PC is likely to be the easy answer.

I need to write the code for the analog to digital conversion for the torque meters also, I wish I could get into the servopacks and grab that signal before it is converted to analog.

An Arduino clone might be the quickest and easiest way to do that. There is a HAL component for talking to them

I was thinking about using HAL ladder or something to set the interlocks up. It appears that the orient is to get the spindle in the right spot to be able to make a tool change.

Yes, but I am wondering why that is a hardware signal. Unless it is an alignment stop in the spindle, of course.

More
30 Dec 2015 18:50 #67529 by Jake
Sounds good on the latency, I'll try this one see what it does or try one of the other pc's

I was initially thinking about a TI msp430G2553 for the conversion, I may have a Arduino laying around somewhere if it can talk to it.

I think I remember seeing a hall sensor up on the top of the spindle, I think it's so the drive pawls can be in the slots of the tool changer fingers. I'm thinking the command will make the spindle crawl to that spot and the confirm is when it is in that spot.

Nice hard lesson of altium today, verify work has been saved. I have had a random issue with my PC when it goes to sleep it will not wake. Altium does not auto save, and it appears that either dropbox didn't update or ??? When it went to sleep it wouldn't wake back up so I turned it off and back on. Lost a bunch of hours of work on my second IO card drawing.

More
05 Jan 2016 03:11 - 05 Jan 2016 03:42 #67899 by Jake
Progress tonight!!! Z and Y encoders work and show up. I didnt try the X as its a ton of work to manually move.

The Estop circuit is not working though. You could see the DI0 bit changing in the hal meter, but not actuating the estop.
Progress tonight!!! Z and Y encoders work and show up. I didnt try the X as its a ton of work to manually move.

The Estop circuit is not working though. You could see the DI0 bit changing in the hal meter, but not actuating the estop.

I am connected to ST1.1 to ST2.9 which is DI0 and ground. I have not molested this HAL file at all. I am still trying to wrap my head around all of this! From the code snippet it appears that DI0 is the correct input to trigger the input sequence. I am not sure if this is part of it as I would think the Estop would function no matter the system condition. But I could take it out of Estop in the GUI, but I could not turn the machine "ON" as it was giving me limit switch errors, as I have not hooked them up yet.
# connect e-stop write/sense to I/O controller
# and ppmc's fault with estop's output, so  estop FF is reset, but
#      prevent continued estop signal from ppmc from holding FF cleared
# ESTOP input 1DI0

net ppmcEstop ppmc.0.din.estop.in
net ppmcEstop and2.0.in0
net EstopOkIn estop-latch.0.fault-in
net EstopOkIn and2.0.out
net EstopOkOut ppmc.0.dout.07.out
net EstopOkOut ppmc.0.dout.Estop.out
net EstopOkOut iocontrol.0.emc-enable-in
net EstopOkOut estop-latch.0.ok-out
net EstopOkOut and2.0.in1
net emc-estop-out iocontrol.0.user-enable-out
net emc-estop-out estop-latch.0.ok-in
net emc-estop-reset iocontrol.0.user-request-enable
net emc-estop-reset estop-latch.0.reset
Last edit: 05 Jan 2016 03:42 by Jake. Reason: deedadee

More
05 Jan 2016 04:17 #67903 by jmelson

Servo 1021419, 173278
Base 52365, 27403.

173uS is quite a lot of latency, but the system might still work OK because you have hardware doing the tight realtime.

Well, that is 17% of the typical servo cycle. So, it will mean that velocity will appear to fluctuate by up to 17% due to the sampling jitter. That is NOT good. I think Jake should try the isolcpus setting in the boot menu to see if that helps.

Jon
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jake

More
06 Jan 2016 04:15 #67945 by Jake
I did not get very far tonight.

I can not seem to get the "isolcpus" completed.

I log in under my normal log in.
go to command line su
type in password, its all happy.

open file /etc/default/grub

add isolcpus=1 (I have a dual core )

try to save. It says it can not open the file, try hitting open file, appears that it opens just fine. Same thing try to save and it will not let me stating same error.

Is this since I am not logging in as root from the beginning?

Also the wiki was not real clear on the 3.4-9-rtai-686-pae kernal

I am supposed to add the isolcpus=1 to the end of the GRUB CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash" ? in the parenthesis or outside of them?

I only have the latest debian wheezy install on the machine and that is all.

On the productive side I have the PPMC properly mounted now and ready for some more wiring!

Thanks again!

More
06 Jan 2016 10:05 #67955 by andypugh
which editor are you using?

You might need to sudo nano /etc/default/grub
or
gksudo gedit /etc/default/grub
or maybe
gksudo mousepad /etc/default/grub

Something like that.

More
06 Jan 2016 12:11 #67961 by Jake
Thanks Andy I'll try that tonight.

I am supposed to add the isolcpus=1 to the end of the GRUB CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash" ? in the parenthesis or outside of them?

Thanks!

Moderators: piasdom
Time to create page: 0.311 seconds