Retrofiting a 1984 MAHO MH300P

More
25 Mar 2019 15:21 #129585 by mscanavini
Hello everybody,

I am deciding whether to buy a MAHO MH300P which I will like to control with LinuxCNC.
I have been following the "Retrofitting a 1986 Maho MH400E" topic (forum.linuxcnc.org/12-milling/33035-retr...g-a-1986-maho-mh400e) but there are so many details that I got a bit confused.

For now, I would like to understand roughly what will I need to change in terms of mechanical and electronic components, and also which parts will I need to purchase.

Regards,
Mauricio

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
26 Mar 2019 08:39 #129656 by pl7i92
there is a full tread here to go with that machine
it is quite a challenge if you have no experience
but it WORKES out Great to get a Full working machine

More
27 Mar 2019 12:52 - 27 Mar 2019 12:54 #129771 by RotarySMP
Hi Mauricio,

Most of the MHx00P series MAHO's connect the axis lead screws through a gearbox and clutches onto a single servo motor. They can not do 3D motion. Check if that is the case on the machine you are looking at. If it doesn't have simple 1 servo- 1axis like the x00E or C series, then you are going to have a lot of mechanical work and cost to remove that gearbox, fabricate and install servo mounts, buy servos and drivers, connect them to the lead screws with belts or couplings, etc.

Basically I'd avoid a MHx00P series machine with that sort of axis drive, and keep looking for a decent MHx00E or C. It is much cheaper to convert a machine keeping the existing drive hardware, (even if it is tempting to use modern AC servos). Make sure you get the electrical schematics for your machine (they vary within a series). You can buy schematics from DMG.

Assuming a MHx00E or C machine with working Indramat servo driver and Heidenhain scales, you need MESA interface cards (5i25/7i77/7i84 is what I used), a PC, and a fair bit of patience as you wire it all up, and then configure LinuxCNC.

Later you can make a control panel, pendant, fourth axis etc.

There is no private messaging thing in this forum. Send me you email address via CNCecke.de, or Practicalmachinist.com where I have the same user name, and I'll send you my draft "how to" guide which summarises everything I have learnt from my build and thread.
Mark
Last edit: 27 Mar 2019 12:54 by RotarySMP.

More
28 Mar 2019 15:04 #129840 by pl7i92
you can easy put off the Clatch its a Xcross bolt system
then you can connect the Servos to the Crosspin
with one the (YG19/ZG17 is to be made larger ther is a motor mount Hole about 120 mm above the clatch in the frame

Moderators: piasdom
Time to create page: 0.068 seconds