Retrofitting a Shizuoka AN-S 3 axis knee mill

More
02 Sep 2019 15:23 #143900 by BtmInPa
I have a Shizuoka AN-S cnc mill with an Allen Bradley control that does not work. It has Baldor Big-MHO DC servos that are in good condition. Mechanically, the machine is excellent.
I would like to do a Linux CNC conversion. The current servo drives are Westamp from the late 80's. I would prefer to remove these and use something newer, and more reliable.
This machine has encoders on the motors, so there are no glass scales to deal with.
I'm looking for suggestions for the motion controller and servo drives.

Thank you
Brian

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
02 Sep 2019 16:39 #143901 by pl7i92
hi nice projekt
are you planing to use the internal as the tachometers 7V/100rpm will may be a problem

there are some projekts involving this things on
where are you located just Continent

and what are you planing to go for as there is no info on the Spindles ballscrews or maybe corrected 32mm Trapezional as of the build

More
02 Sep 2019 21:05 #143950 by andypugh

The current servo drives are Westamp from the late 80's. I would prefer to remove these and use something newer, and more reliable.

Have you found anything suitable? If you have tachometers then you probably want to keep them, and that will tend to narrow the choice of drives.

What sort of voltage / power are you looking at?

More
03 Sep 2019 03:14 #144009 by BtmInPa
I haven’t found anything suitable yet, but just started looking.
Yes, the motors have tachs.
The motors are 120v dc.
I attached a photo of the info plate on the servo.

Brian
Attachments:

More
03 Sep 2019 20:07 #144081 by andypugh
40A is a pretty big drive, if the drives are matched to the motor rating.

Here is one: www.cnc-shopping.co.uk/parvex-rts7313020...8a847f224e6a262cb36a

Keeping the Westamps might suddenly seem attractive :-)

More
07 Sep 2019 01:56 #144439 by jmelson
If you decide to keep the Westamp drives, then I might recommend the Pico Systems PPMC, a set of boards to drive analog velocity servos.

If you decide to replace them, then I might recommend the Pico Systems PWM controller system, but those servo amps are only good up to 20 Amps. Depending on the size of the machine, that might be sufficient. (It looks to be about the size of a Bridgeport Series-II.)

(Full disclosure, I make the Pico Systems products.)

Jon

More
07 Sep 2019 12:57 #144471 by BtmInPa
Thank you for the input.

Jon,
I have looked at Pico. I think your products are great, but I do want to match the servo amps closer to the motor. This machine is probably similar to a Series II, maybe a bit heavier.
This machine is used in a professional shop, and it will see some heavy milling.
I'm familiar with the Centroid options, but I would like to do a Linux conversion, mostly for the educational value.

Currently, I'm reviewing Advanced Motion Controls to see if they have anything suitable.

Brian

More
07 Sep 2019 16:03 #144487 by jmelson
OK, another option is to get a set of analog drives from AMC and use our PPMC controller with it. They did have drives rated up to 40 A peak.

Jon

More
02 May 2021 14:14 #207627 by FortheShiz
I have just purchased the same type machine with an Allen Bradley control although mine was already removed before purchase and the same servo motors, and I am also hoping to do a retrofit to run it on LinuxCNC. Were you ever able to get your machine running on Linux? What drivers did you end up using?

More
02 May 2021 16:15 #207649 by jmelson
There are lots of drives offered on eBay. Check the specs on the motors to see what the peak current rating is. Does the machine have DC tachometers? Generally, with analog velocity servo amps, that would be the case. AMC makes some beefy velocity servo amps, but the higher the current, the harder they are to come by.

I have an analog servo interface set for that type of servo amp, called the PPMC.
See pico-systems.com/osc2.5/catalog/index.php?cPath=1 for some more info and pictures.

Jon

Moderators: piasdom
Time to create page: 0.099 seconds