Advice on new to me retrofit

More
17 Mar 2020 19:47 #160586 by Dah-Lih Llama
Looking for advice. Recently bought a mill that was originally a CNC but has been retrofitted. Has Anilam servo/driver, Mesa board, and is obviously LinuxCNC. When we went and looked at the mill everything was functioning fine, but a 3 mile bumpy dirt road and the 45 minute trip home wasn't great on the connections/hardware. Fixed a couple of loose obvious wires, but as soon as I got LinuxCNC up I figured out the x-axis was kaput.

I'm in the middle of replacing the scale and have tripped the y-axis limit. GUI is gmoccapy version 1.5.5 which I'm finding out is fairly old. I can't figure out how to suspend the alarm to get the y-axis back in normal range. I can't get the grayed out box "ignore limits" to become active. Any suggestions? I'm about to start taking off crap to get to the servo and manually back off the table...

So on the advice part, should I get everything working and then get everything up to date or should I try and learn the process of setting up a new system first.

Thanks - Doug

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 Mar 2020 20:24 #160587 by Todd Zuercher
Sorry, I'm not to familiar with Gmoccapy, so can't help much with problems specific to it. Gmoccapy 1.5.11, is the latest version available for Linuxcnc 2.7 and earlier.

I know in the default Axis user interface, the ignore limits check box is normally greyed out and can't be checked unless one of the limits are actually triggered. My guess is Gmoccapy also behaves similarly. In other words, if the ignore limits check box is greyed out, Linuxcnc probably isn't sensing that it is against a limit.

Before you can jog an axis in Linuxcnc there are usually 2 things you must first do. The first is to clear any E-stop conditions, the 2nd is turn on/enable the machine. And before you can execute a program or MDI command the machine must be homed.

More
17 Mar 2020 20:29 #160589 by Dah-Lih Llama
It gives the errors "Axis Y on limit switch error", "Error " Could not switch the machine on, is limit switch aktivated" , and "Unexpected realtime delay: check dmesg for details"

Is it pissed off because the new x scale hasn't been honed yet? Also, new scale is 5 micron resolution and old one was 10, do I change this in the ini or hal file?

Sorry, learn curve is steep, but I'm starting to take all of this in...

Thanks for the help.

More
17 Mar 2020 20:44 #160591 by PCW
Replied by PCW on topic Advice on new to me retrofit
If the linear scale resolution changed you would need to
change the scale in the .ini file

More
20 Mar 2020 12:45 #160871 by andypugh
Quick fix is probably to turn the machine off and wind the axis off the limit by hand.

More
23 Mar 2020 20:30 #161275 by Dah-Lih Llama
Ok, thanks for the help so far. I've got the new scale reading correctly and I backed off the limit switch by hand.

I've got two recurring errors now. If I restart the cpu enough times, I somehow avoid the errors when starting up, but sometimes they will popup later. From researching the one error it looks like I'm having an issue with latency? I apologize that I'm blundering my way through this...

Any help with these? Thanks!

Attachments:

More
23 Mar 2020 20:34 #161277 by andypugh
Try cleaning the PCI port, and / or reseating the PCI card.

More
23 Mar 2020 21:19 #161281 by tommylight
Also try another PCI slot, if available.
Or change the PC.

More
23 Mar 2020 22:11 #161287 by PCW
Replied by PCW on topic Advice on new to me retrofit
The first error looks hardware related, posting the kernel log (with dmesg) would help determine the actual issue

The second (sserial) error is often latency related, did you run a latency test on your PC?

Can you post you hal and ini files?

More
01 Apr 2020 18:07 - 01 Apr 2020 18:10 #162363 by Dah-Lih Llama
Ok, switched to a new PC and found a wire had pulled out of the mesa board. When I get this thing up and running I really need to tear everything out and clean up the wiring. Not knocking the previous person that wired it, but it's not the best job. I need to make a wiring diagram for it too.

Still learning... I need to figure out how to home this x axis since it has a new scale.

Thanks for all the help!
Last edit: 01 Apr 2020 18:10 by Dah-Lih Llama.

Moderators: piasdom
Time to create page: 0.283 seconds