Bridgeport V2XT conversion help

More
13 Sep 2021 19:52 #220494 by Smarttowers

Here's a question

Do pins 3,4 on the 8 pin terminal go to a Tachometer?

If they do its likely similar to other Motion Science drives:

(1,2 +-10V analog, 3,4 Tachometer,5,6 current monitor and limit,7,8 drive enable)

I've tracked out the encoder output and it all goes into a axsbob. From that same board are wires that go to pins 1 and 2 on the servo amp. I'm thinking the computer handles the encoder feedback and tells the amp what to do from it. 

If I don't get a schematic I'll be breaking out wires to try and trace them. I also bought a cheapo wire rf generator wire tracer that should help. 
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 Sep 2021 21:05 #220506 by Smarttowers
I was able to purchase the schematics from EMI for $40. That should help me convert it for sure.

Amps have
1,2 +- 10 volt
3,4 tach
5 ground
7 axis enable
8 axis fault

Now hopefully this is enough information for those gurus who have helped already to assist me better.

Any other information needed please let me know.

More
More
14 Sep 2021 02:45 #220545 by Smarttowers
This is great information. I'll keep it for when I'm to that part. Right now I need help finding boards that can do analog control and handle the encoder feedback directly.

I'm guessing that due to the original design of I want to use the same hardware I'm going to be limited to a more expensive interface method such as Mesa cards. 
​​

More
14 Sep 2021 03:15 #220549 by PCW
Replied by PCW on topic Bridgeport V2XT conversion help
The next thing would be to figure out how the drive enable input and
fault output work, that is, what needs to be supplied to the enable input to
enable the drive and what signal level comes from the fault output.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Smarttowers

More
14 Sep 2021 04:40 #220553 by Smarttowers
Looks like according to the schematic it's 24v for the drive enable.
I've included the drive and encoder part of the schematics. 

Any idea what kind of board is capable of handling the encoder input and sending the analog signals to the amp? 

Attachments:

More
14 Sep 2021 05:39 #220555 by Smarttowers
I've been searching and looks like the easiest cards would be Mesa 5i25 or 6i25 and 7i77 for using the same servos and Amps.

Looks like with this setup I should be able to handle more than I need for this conversion.

I'm sure there are other solutions and would appreciate anyone giving me some so I could weigh my options.

I plan on using a Dell pc I have kicking around. I have a few options between a core2duo and a i5 system. Any thoughts are welcome. From what I've read both should be more than adequate for linuxcnc and both I already own.

More
14 Sep 2021 09:13 #220564 by tommylight
Might also use Mesa 7i92M if the PC / console is far from electronics. It just plugs into 7i77 and uses ethernet to connect to the PC.
The link i posted explicitly mentions wiring and testing of 7i77 system, step by step, although the same applies for other boards with regards to procedures.
There is also Mesa 7i97 i think that is an all in one.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Smarttowers

More
14 Sep 2021 13:20 #220588 by Smarttowers

Might also use Mesa 7i92M if the PC / console is far from electronics. It just plugs into 7i77 and uses ethernet to connect to the PC.
The link i posted explicitly mentions wiring and testing of 7i77 system, step by step, although the same applies for other boards with regards to procedures.

Thank you I had not seen this ethernet all in one analog option. I'm planning to put out the computer in the electronics enclosure unless there is some kind of problem with electromagnetic interference doing that. I could put it where the old crt was behind where I'm planning to mount a touch screen monitor. 

The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight

More
15 Sep 2021 22:39 #220746 by Smarttowers

Great advice on the 7i92 and 7i77 Combo it's same advice given to me by Peter with Mesa and exactly what I ordered. I got the 7i92H and 7i77 and a cable because the area I'm working with is just a little too tight to put the two boards together and fit. 

To change where I'm planning on putting the cards would require much more rewiring. I'm just going to pull out the AUF board and replace it, the axsbob and auxbob with the Mesa product. 

I've already stripped the old computer and cards out of the cabinet and just have the BOB and AUX left for easier reference as I move to the Mesa board. 

I'll need to get some pictures for prosperity but I didn't get any before I started taking out the old computer controls. 
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight

Moderators: piasdom
Time to create page: 0.275 seconds