Large gantry style router, Do i need gearboxes?

More
03 Oct 2021 05:38 - 03 Oct 2021 05:49 #222072 by hairy
Hi Folks! 

I'm planning my first large gantry style router machine (table ~2x4.5m  Z ~250mm ) , which would be used mainly for plasma cutting, but also for milling wood / aluminum and plastic.

On X and Y axis, I would like to use rack n pinion system and my question is that, if I use Nema 34  ~10Nm steppers is it possible drive these with direct drive, without gearbox? I would put smallest (diameter) heavy duty gears i can find. My concern is that is it going to be too fast? Does it still need reduction gearbox? 

Second, if i can afford it, is the ball screw always better option on Z axis, or is there reason why I should select leadscrew on that? (less backlash etc? no need for braking?)

www.t2cnc.hu/downloads/Lichuan/2%20Phase...otor%20Datasheet.pdf
LC86H2128

Thanks, i appreciate your comments! 
Last edit: 03 Oct 2021 05:49 by hairy.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
03 Oct 2021 09:07 #222081 by tommylight
Plasma requires a light gantry while routers need a heavy and stiff one, so having both on one machine is never a good idea, but it can work for sure with some limitations.
With rack and pinion reductions are mandatory, not negotiable, the smallest pinion is something like 30mm in diameter so that results in over 100mm of move for one revolution of the motor hence the resolution goes out the window.
The following user(s) said Thank You: hairy

More
04 Oct 2021 03:38 #222163 by hairy
Thanks for clear answers... I'm quite space constrained and that's why i was considering combo machine. I have to think about this little bit more...

Cheers!

Moderators: piasdom
Time to create page: 0.123 seconds