Servo Purchase Recommendations, Yaskawa?

More
07 Nov 2021 23:49 #225601 by Michael
Looking to buy good servo motors and drives that integrate well with LinuxCNC. I'm not happy with the servos I have. The requirements I am looking for:
  1. Run on single phase 240v (US residential)
  2. Analog control (using 7i77)
  3. Original motors were SEM/Parvex and were 3000rpm X/Y 3.95Nm (geared 20T:40T), Z 7.5Nm (geared 28T:40T)
  4. Going on a 1996 Bridgeport TC-22 VMC (6000lbs machine)
I have been looking at Yaskawa Sigma 5's with the  sgdv-120a01a008000 drives and  sgmgv-13ada61 motors. Some quick questions:
  1. Where is a reputable place to purchase these at a good price?
  2. Are the ones sold on eBay from overseas legitimate or clones? Drive   Motors
Looking for good products not necessarily cheap products. And also service from the seller goes a long way in my book. Thank you in advance for the suggestions.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
08 Nov 2021 00:16 #225610 by tommylight
The only advice i can dispense is: by them as a motor/drive set, getting them separately means having to tune them first before tuning them in LinuxCNC, at that is quite a challenge seeing as they come with 400 to 900 pages of manuals.
From my limited experience with Yaskawa, they would be my first choice, always.
Just out of curiosity, what drives do you have now ?
That curiosity is not for me in any way shape or form, but i see a lot of issues on this forum with two manufacturers so far, so would be nice to add to their piled up complaints.

More
08 Nov 2021 00:27 - 08 Nov 2021 00:45 #225612 by Michael
When you say make sure they are purchased as a set. Isn't it fairly straight forward with the Yaskawa software to tune the drives?

My complaints are well documented in other posts of mine. They are DMM. What are the two you see issues with?
Last edit: 08 Nov 2021 00:45 by Michael.

More
08 Nov 2021 01:24 #225616 by tommylight
No idea how hard it is to tune them, but from experience with older systems, that is something that takes a lot of time and reading and testing, a lot. I can only assume that is simpler now.
Mine are DMM and ClearPath, the latter since they were selling stepper systems labeled as servo systems, all it took was a single glance at the torque plot.
DMM in general are good for the money, but they seem to have ONLY issues with analogue mode with latency, while in position mode they work properly. Pretty sure ClearPath also put their act together from what i can gather lately.

More
08 Nov 2021 18:37 #225706 by Michael
The Sigma 5's have software for tuning with an auto feature. Should be a lot easier then the older drives.

I was also looking at Glentek  and a couple things stood out. Seem to have a very stream lined form factor for the drives and a wide variety of motor options. They are also a local company in my state which is appealing. Didn't see many posts about anyone using their products however but there is a good amount of used stuff on eBay so they are not an unknown company.

More
08 Nov 2021 19:28 #225713 by Muzzer
I've bought several sets of Yaskawa servo motor / drive from FA Parts, which is a machine breaker in S Korea. Obviously the older generations of the Sigma drives tend to be cheaper - I think we are now up to Sigma 7. They come in significantly cheaper than new and a similar cost to the likes of new DMM, Lichuan etc.Having said that, Yaskawa are "more professional" products.
www.ebay.co.uk/str/faparts/SERVO-DRIVE-A...?store_cat=456141017

Another source is IndustrialPartsShop although I've found they are better for things like ballscrews, harmonic drives etc. Some are unused but obsolete stock, which are ideal for the likes of us.
www.ebay.co.uk/str/industrialpartsshop

More
08 Nov 2021 19:43 #225715 by Michael
Thank you for the links. I'm looking for the single phase drives which seem to be unicorns.

I did see a couple places that mentioned some of the 3 phase drives can actually run on single phase but there was no mention of which ones.

More
09 Nov 2021 20:37 #225871 by Muzzer
For drives under 4kW or so, the inputs generally use passive rectification (as opposed to active PFC), so they are fine on either single phase or three phase as long as the phase to phase voltage is appropriate - they don't know or care either way. The input rectifier bridge has to work slightly harder with single phase, as you are only using 4 diodes instead of 6 but they are typically rated for that application anyway. Besides, unless you are running your drives at full rated power continuously, you won't be pushing them. Looking at the Sigma 5 manual, Yaskawa don't require derating for operation on single phase. 

More
09 Nov 2021 23:05 #225890 by Michael
I didn't find that in the manual. It will not lists a handful of small servo drives that can work on single phase. Did see this though:
Attachments:

More
10 Nov 2021 12:16 #225971 by Muzzer
That's helpful. So you need to check that your model has the Pn00B.2 parameter and it's a 200V Class drive if you really are stuck with 3-ph equipment. 

Most of the drives I've used have been 1-ph out of the box (Yaskawa VFD and servo) or will tolerate either 1-ph or 3-ph (Lichuan and DMM Tech servos). 

Moderators: piasdom
Time to create page: 0.328 seconds