Retrofitting BMC 20 , BMC 30 and Slv 40 hurco machines in near future.

More
02 Feb 2022 19:45 #233824 by smc.collins
as stated, will be retrofitting 3 machines with linux CNC. now that I think about it, I plan to try and write a nonengineering type of intro to linuxCNC that covers the laymans side of how to get it running on a simple 3 axis milling machine. But I digress. 

These machines are relatively complicated and will need some extensive setup, a lot more than my current knowledge of Linux CNC allows. 

The thing I will need help with I am sure is getting the ATC;s on these machines operable. the rest is fairly straight forward. 

Willing to pay someone for the time to help with the configuration. I will have the machines in a few weeks for evaluation and at that point I will be able top provide more specifics once they are in hand. Also if anyone need a large format machine to do heavy work, I intend to rent this machine out to the community at $40 hr if you provide toolpaths and consumables, fee covers electric, coolant, my time to load& indicate in etc. I think that's a fairly good deal for a community machining center. willing to provide these services to universitys etc at same rate. 

Overarching goals for all 3 machines 

LinuxCNC PC per machine, Webcam integration to watch, tool measuring and offsetting, full ATC functionality, networked to some sort of server overlord to watch machines and alarm for errors. So probably some type of IP camera system on the network in the shop and using something like VLC to monitor the machines as an admin. 

Not trying to accomplish all of this at once but looking to do step by step as money and skill allow, but need help planning to prevent hitting a wall later with incompatible goals. 

Any and all help appreciated and reciprocated, I return favors !

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
03 Feb 2022 02:52 #233854 by Jake
I have a BMC30 that's been retrofitted.

It's 1992 blue machine with Yaskawa drives. I used PICO PPMC controller and a Dell Optiplex 9020.

I can share my config files on it, ATC all works of a remap M6. Depending on which vintage your machines are the 20 and 30 should be nearly the same machine. I have a buddy that has a 1998 20 and 40, controls are the same only significant differences are the spindle and sizes of the servo drives. The 20 has the high speed spindle.
The following user(s) said Thank You: smc.collins

More
03 Feb 2022 03:34 #233855 by smc.collins
That would be absolutely fantastic if you could share the config files and any diagrams you came up with, these are 1992-94 vintage. the SLV 40 is the same vintage.

Let me know where to send the beer !

More
03 Feb 2022 20:26 #233907 by tommylight
forum.linuxcnc.org/30-cnc-machines/33529-hurco-bmc-20p-retrofit
There are working configs attached there also.
20 and 30 are the same wiring vise, not sure about 40.
The following user(s) said Thank You: smc.collins

Moderators: piasdom
Time to create page: 0.287 seconds