× Forum Header

3-Axis Millling - Motors go wrong way.... help....

• deltagirl
  • deltagirl's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
26 Oct 2009 09:04 - 26 Oct 2009 09:12 #1035 by deltagirl
Hi, this is my first machine, was advised to use the LiveCD install to hard drive and EMC2

It is a home made machine.

Now, i have read over the manual and it seems to not be sinking in. I am going to read over it, but, decided to post here too. Think i may of just made a silly setting and can't find what it is. i have looked over the forum with no luck, closest was this , and now posting for any help.

No matter what settings i have the motors seem to just go their own way. I have a picture here, which i hope will make it easy to see the physical setup and placement of the home switch's.

Now, i get the "home all" to work, z-axis little funny, but works. Then, when i go to run the default text "EMC2 AXIS" the motors run beyond the points they are meant too. this being, x-axis beyond the far left (x-home) and towards front beyond closest point (y-home) and yes, beyond z-home. if you pay attention to the machine layout, i may of just built it back to front and wrong side....

arrrrr...... grrrr..... I have been working on this for just on 2 weeks, and am getting really sad. i have been soooooo excited to be able to mill out some of my art work. Any help, including those that help in depth to set the settings, i thank you NOW, and also later. All help welcome.
DeltaGirl
Attachments:
Last edit: 26 Oct 2009 09:12 by deltagirl.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
27 Oct 2009 02:46 #1042 by BMG
How did you set up your configuration files? Did you use the Stepconf Wizard?

Go to pastebin.ca and paste your config files there and then give a link to that pastebin for us to see. From there, others here on the site and maybe even me might be able to decifer what is happening.

Be patient. If you have never worked with electronics or machine integration, you have to climb the learning curve. Start with the configs and others here are likely to lower some ropes....

Brian

• deltagirl
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
27 Oct 2009 12:50 - 27 Oct 2009 12:59 #1045 by deltagirl
Thank you for reply.
Well it would be great to get someone to help me look over the config pages. Here are links to screen shots of the settings. You will notice that the table runs are incorrect too. i got upset and reset everything to a basic setup with table length shorter, to stop it over running. Guess may need someone to help me redo the settings :(

Basic Info
Parallel Port
x-axis
y-axis
z-axis
Advanced Config

Also, should i just keep on replying or should i edit the 1st post i made?

thanx, Delta
Last edit: 27 Oct 2009 12:59 by deltagirl.

More
28 Oct 2009 00:52 #1050 by BMG
Keep replying here - that keeps us all on the same topic :)

What version of EMC2 are you using? 2.2.8? 2.3.1? 2.3.3?... There were several hicupps in the 2.3.1 version if I recall correctly.

What controller card are you using? For the X axis, you have the direction pin inverted, but the Y and Z axis' are not. I assume your using a single controller for each axis, therefore I would expect the pin settings to be identical.

Based on your configuration, you are using 20 turns per inch lead screws (threaded rods perhaps?)

What are the true working dimensions of your work area? X ~36in, Y - 20in, Z - 7 in are shown in the configuration images.

I would recommend disabling the homing switches in the configuration first so that you can get the basic machine operating, then apply limits once you have it running. Try to narrow error potential.

Once you have the XYZ axis' responding, make sure that the distance commanded = distance traveled. I did this in MDI mode by starting at 1,1 and using my router to cut a single hole 1/8" deep. I then went to 47,1 and cut a second hole. I repeated at 47,23 and 1,27. Once the holes where cut, I then got out a ruler and measured the distances. The distances measured should equal the distnaced between the commanded holes. You can also check for XY skewness by comparing the diagonal distances (the diagonals should be equal).

Finally, you can measure the distance from the top of your work surface to various Z heights. Compare the height delta between different tool elevations.

Once you are sure that your commanded distances = actual distances, then work on limit switches.

I do not have limit switches on my machine (stepper router 48"X24"X4" w/ hobbycnc controller), so someone else will have to chime in for that topic.

HTH's

Brian

• deltagirl
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
25 Nov 2009 23:49 #1199 by deltagirl
Hello,
sorry forgot to post here.

i have given up and am going to start fresh again. thanx for the help

Time to create page: 0.131 seconds