× Forum Header

z axis scale problems.

More
03 Jan 2010 18:38 #1425 by pcarson
I've nearly got my gantry router running reliably, but I keep chasing a problem with the scale on the z axis. I'll start the machine up and go through my homing routine, and then put a dial indicator on the z to make sure my input matches the output. I'll change the gear ratios to reconcile the input to the travel of my z axis, and run my machine for 20 minutes or so. by the end of that 20 minutes, the scale is all wrong again, by as much as 30%.

Any ideas?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
03 Jan 2010 19:08 #1426 by Rick G
Replied by Rick G on topic Re:z axis scale problems.
Perhaps you could explain the steps you are taking step by step and the results you are getting. Same results at different feed rates for Z? Sure you are not just losing steps?

Rick

More
03 Jan 2010 19:45 #1427 by pcarson
Replied by pcarson on topic Re:z axis scale problems.
I ran through the stepper configuration wizard, and input all of the gear ratios, pin allocations, etc. Then I test ran the machine.

I would move each axis in .100" increments and measure the movement with a dial indicator. I then adjusted the gear ratios in the config wizard to make the output match the input.

What I'm finding is that the z axis was either losing steps when I did this test, or its scale is changing, because I keep having to repeat this adjustment to compensate for either far more or far less travel than I see on the DRO. One minute I'll be getting .100" of movement for .100" on the DRO, and 20 minutes later I'll notice the machine is taking way to heavy a cut, repeat the test, and find I'm getting .130" or .150" of travel for .100" in AXIS.

Thanks,
Paul

More
03 Jan 2010 20:32 #1429 by BigJohnT
Replied by BigJohnT on topic Re:z axis scale problems.
Paul,

If it is not physically possible for your machine to change ratios (ie belts that slip) then I suspect a configuration error or a friction issue or an electrical issue that results in lost steps. Have you read the short trouble shooting section?

www.linuxcnc.org/docview/html//common_Stepper_Diagnostics.html

Did you not know the exact gear ratio and that is why you had to adjust the ratios in the config wizard?

Can you describe the Z drive in detail?

It does sound like lost steps and you compensate by changing the config then it starts to work better and you are moving too much at that point. If you know the exact gear ratio I suggest you put that back in and look at other areas to find the real problem.

John

Time to create page: 0.112 seconds