× Forum Header

Microstepping question

More
22 Jan 2012 20:24 #17024 by whampoo
Hi All,
When configuring the step config options for each axis there is a Driver Micro-stepping option, should I leave this setting as "0" if I am using the dip switches on the controller board or should this match the dip switch settings on the controller? I am noticing a hiccup where the drive seems stop or lag while testing the axis. I am wondering if the software stepping is confusing the controller with to many signals. Currently I have the setting matching my stepper controller. If this is correct then I will most likely be looking for a new motherboard and chip for my EMC2 machine.

Also I have my Base Period Max Jitter rate set to 20000 which is slightly more than the final reading for the Max Jitter which was 19232. I am beginning to think the problem is the computer hardware.

Thanks,
Joel

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
23 Jan 2012 07:21 - 23 Jan 2012 07:23 #17036 by Rick G
Replied by Rick G on topic Re:Microstepping question
In theory the dip switch and your setting should be the same.
The bottom line is Stepconf is collecting information to calculate the Scale for the axis.
You could have micro stepping set to 1 and a 1 to 10 pulley or micro stepping set to 10 and a 1 to 1 pulley and get the same result.

How long did you run the latency test, do you run other programs to stress the system?

I am noticing a hiccup where the drive seems stop or lag while testing the axis.

That sound like you might be stalling the stepper, losing steps, try moving slower and check your settings.

Also I have my Base Period Max Jitter rate set to 20000

Try setting to 40000 or 60000 and see what happens. 20000 is probably too optimistic.

Rick G
Last edit: 23 Jan 2012 07:23 by Rick G.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.148 seconds