× Forum Header

configuring second parallel port

More
21 Feb 2012 16:23 #17918 by chuck1024
I am trying to configure a second parallel port using stepconf. I added the port to control my emco tool turret and I can read the input pins with hand written hal code.

Now I want to move the spindle encoder inputs to the second port as well.

I enter the second port address on the first page of stepconf but there is no page or entries in stepconf to select any pins on the second parallel port.

I tried to use the point and clink config tool (didn't even know it existed until now). I am not using servos so I turned off the mesa card stuff but I still only see servo config options. ie there are no options to put x step and direction to parallel port pins.

The only idea I can come up with is to configure spindle index pulse and phase A on a port 0 pin and then manually edit the hal file to move them to the second parallel port card. However this prevents me form assigning those pins to their real use.

I am running Linux 8.04 and EMC 2.4.6. Which leads me to another question. The online manuals show stepconf screens that differ from mine. For example they show options like force home, raise spindle before tool change that do not appear on my screws. Not sure about the 2.4.7 version number either. Online says they forget to change the version number so how do I know if I have .6 or .7? Will it automatically download? Are there other changes in here that will allow me to config the second parallel port?

thanks again
chuck

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
21 Feb 2012 17:19 - 22 Feb 2012 09:31 #17919 by ArcEye
Hi

Afraid I don't know the stepconf specifics.

Now I want to move the spindle encoder inputs to the second port as well.

If you want to move them, sounds like you already have them on port 0?

Just cut and paste, change the parport number to 1 and change the pin number to suit.
The sooner you do some hand editing, the sooner the impenetrable world of HAL will start to open up.:S

In total for the encoder, you should have something like this
loadrt encoder num_chan=1
addf encoder.update-counters base-thread
addf encoder.capture-position servo-thread

setp encoder.0.position-scale NN #(PPM number here)
setp encoder.0.counter-mode 1 # (for single rising edge non-quad pulse)
net spindle-position encoder.0.position-interpolated => motion.spindle-revs
net spindle-velocity encoder.0.velocity => motion.spindle-speed-in
net spindle-index-enable encoder.0.index-enable <=> motion.spindle-index-enable

net spindle-index parport.1.pin-11-in => encoder.0.phase-Z # (index)
net spindle-pulse parport.1.pin-10-in => encoder.0.phase-A # (pulse)

regards
Last edit: 22 Feb 2012 09:31 by ArcEye.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.191 seconds