× Forum Header

Charge pump

More
12 Feb 2010 09:40 #1869 by KenC
Charge pump was created by KenC
Hi,
I am wondering do I have to do anything else to activate the charge pump feature.

My scenario.
I went through Stepconf wizard & dedicated pin 17 as charge pump.
Turn on the Stepper motor, & the Chargepump LED indicator on the BOB is death, so no motor motion.
I then set the BOB jumper to disable charge pump feaance.ture & lrt the BOB always on. Then the Charge pump LED indicator lit. & I have motor action.

I need to clarify if this is a hardware problem or I missed something in the config part before I jump at the BOB supplier.

Thanks in advance

Regards

Ken

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 Feb 2010 21:15 #1872 by BigJohnT
Replied by BigJohnT on topic Re:Charge pump
What is the frequency requirements of your charge pump on the bob? If you latency was high enough you might not be able to generate a high enough frequency to "turn on" the charge pump.

More info here:
www.linuxcnc.org/docview/html//config_st...:Parallel-Port-Setup

John

More
16 Feb 2010 08:02 #1925 by KenC
Replied by KenC on topic Re:Charge pump
My latency test gives is about 16500ns (which is 60.6khz max. pulse rate if I got my maths correct) which is considered a great number, but I don't seem to get my charge pump working. Does it also mean that my PC will generate charge pump frequency of 30.3khz (60.6khz/2)? Thenthis is no good to generate 10~15khz?

More
24 Mar 2010 17:16 #2429 by ArcEye
Replied by ArcEye on topic Re:Charge pump
Hi

See www.cnczone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=93948

Someone else had same problem and found it was the config created by stepconf that caused it!

regards

More
25 Mar 2010 07:34 #2440 by KenC
Replied by KenC on topic Re:Charge pump
ArcEye,
Thanks for the link, aprriciate it.

Regards

More
27 Jan 2013 15:11 #29183 by davo727
Replied by davo727 on topic Charge pump
Bringing this thread back up with another slight variation on the Fix for charge pump not working and no stepper motion.

Tonight was at buddys place, he was setting up Linuxcnc on his little Novakon mill with a computer with a pci parallel card and we couldnt get the mill to move. Ran across the following on cnczone from a different thread from the other one linked here and the replacement code line is a little different.

Anyway it worked instantly.

In your Hal config file, Delete the line;
net estop-out charge-pump.enable iocontrol.0.user-enable-out

and replace it with the following;
net motion-enabled charge-pump.enable motion.motion-enabled

More
29 Jan 2013 02:54 #29236 by Kirk_Wallace
Replied by Kirk_Wallace on topic Charge pump
The charge pump is enabled by default, www.linuxcnc.org/docs/2.5/html/man/man9/charge_pump.9.html

So if the net command for charge-pump.enable is deleted or commented out, the pump should run as soon as LinixCNC is started, assuming it is properly loaded with "loadrt charge_pump", assigned a thread "addf charge-pump base-thread", and connected to an output "net ChgPump charge-pump.out parport...". This can be checked with HALscope on charge-pump.out to see the signal toggle.

At one time, there was a lot of chatter about the charge pump and the Gecko G540 because the G540 input puts too much load on the parallel port pin. Using a pull up, or better, a buffer chip on the pin solves the problem.

Most charge pump inputs have a wide range of valid frequencies, so as long as the pin gets driven with enough voltage or current, any reasonably close frequency should work.

More here: wiki.linuxcnc.org/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?About_Charge_Pumps
--
Kirk
www.wallacecompany.com/machine_shop/

More
16 Jul 2015 10:14 - 16 Jul 2015 10:15 #60645 by brianbonedoc
Replied by brianbonedoc on topic Charge pump
Davo727 -

You just saved me pulling out all of my hair!

This line worked after days of me getting nowhere!

Thank you!

Now off to configure the Mesa card . . .
Last edit: 16 Jul 2015 10:15 by brianbonedoc.

Time to create page: 0.082 seconds