× Forum Header

different max speed for rapid and feed movement?

More
11 Nov 2012 21:19 #26454 by helig
Dear all

I understand that I can define a max velocity for each axis in stepconf and that this commands rapid movement (G0).
Question: How can I define another (lower) max velocity limiting the programmed feed movement (G1, G2, ...) for each axis?

(Hints to doc where I could have found this info are appreciated)

Thanks and regards
Volker

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 Nov 2012 21:33 #26455 by ArcEye
Hi

This outlines the velocity settings
linuxcnc.org/docs/2.5/html/config/ini_config.html

You can set max velocity, stepgen max velocity and default velocity.
The former sets your max G0 rate, the second allows stepgens to exceed this to bring off co-ordinated moves within the required feed rate and the latter defines the default slider position and jog rate for axes.

The feed rate for other moves is solely defined by the F value in your G code, to the limit set in max velocity, AFAIK

regards
The following user(s) said Thank You: helig

More
12 Nov 2012 03:10 #26460 by andypugh

How can I define another (lower) max velocity limiting the programmed feed movement (G1, G2, ...) for each axis?

I don't think you can. Why do you think you need to?

More
12 Nov 2012 06:55 #26465 by helig
Why do I think I need to?.

I use a DIY 3-axis mill to cut wood with inexpensive cutters.
I have found that I can do let's say 700mm/min feed when cutting in X or Y direction, but I'm losing steps when cutting more than 200mm/min in Z direction.
Anyhow max Z speed for rapid movement is beyond that.

I want to do a helical G2 movement cutting into wood. XY plane selected with G17.
If I could limit Z speed for G2 (and all non-G0 movements), then I could use F700 for the coordinated G2 movement without bothering about Z because the machine would slow down XY movement accordingly when Z speed limit was reached. Otherwise I have to calculate the speed limit for the F-word in my procedure.

(btw: I've already done the speed-limit calculation - no need to help me with that)

More
12 Nov 2012 07:53 #26467 by cncbasher

Why do I think I need to?.

I use a DIY 3-axis mill to cut wood with inexpensive cutters.
I have found that I can do let's say 700mm/min feed when cutting in X or Y direction, but I'm losing steps when cutting more than 200mm/min in Z direction.

I want to do a helical G2 movement cutting into wood. XY plane selected with G17.
If I could limit Z speed for G2 (and all non-G0 movements), then I could use F700 for the coordinated G2 movement without bothering about Z because the machine would slow down XY movement accordingly when Z speed limit was reached. Otherwise I have to calculate the speed limit for the F-word in my procedure.

(btw: I've already done the speed-limit calculation - no need to help me with that)

you will probably find this is more a mechanical issue than software , or down to the type of cutters you are using ..
also look at reducing the default velocity in the [traj] section of your z axis in your INI file .

if your loosing steps or missing steps theirs a reason for it . be it stepper performance or mechanical issues
or just plain running the machine outside it's physical capabilities or performance

More
12 Nov 2012 09:29 #26469 by andypugh

If you need to keep the Z rapids high, then I don't think there is an easy way (or possibly any way) to do this.
However, setting the Z axis velocity and accel limits to what the Z axis can manage during cuts, rather than what it can achieve during free movement might do what you want.
You might find it makes less difference to rapid moves than you might expect, as typically the Z movement is less that the XY movement during the sorts of rapids where you notice the traverse time.
The following user(s) said Thank You: helig

More
18 Nov 2012 01:37 #26717 by helig

you will probably find this is more a mechanical issue than software , or down to the type of cutters you are using ..
also look at reducing the default velocity in the [traj] section of your z axis in your INI file .

if your loosing steps or missing steps theirs a reason for it . be it stepper performance or mechanical issues
or just plain running the machine outside it's physical capabilities or performance

Yes, exactly this was my point - I wanted to tell the software about the limitations of the hardware. Anyhow: the more I think about it I prefer explicitely calculating the optimal speed. Thank you anyway - the statements in the forum were really helpful for me

Time to create page: 0.224 seconds