× Forum Header

Bridgeport Boss 5 stepper setup

More
03 Jun 2013 02:19 #35153 by bogie6040
Hello all,

I'm trying to get my bridgeport boss 5 converted to linuxcnc with the machine's original steppers and drivers - they do work as does the control. The problem is that there is apparently no way to select Step Type 2
And when I manually changed the hal line to: loadrt stepgen step_type=2,2,2
I get the error:
Debug file information:
Can not find -sec MOT -var MOT -num 1
Can not find -sec IO -var IO -num 1
Can not find -sec LINUXCNC -var NML_FILE -num 1
Can not find -sec EMC -var NML_FILE -num 1
my-mill.hal:52: parameter or pin 'stepgen.0.stepspace' not found
PID TTY STAT TIME COMMAND
Stopping realtime threads

I am not keen on steppers and have the gear to change it to servo, but no access to another machine to make parts / adapters - SO it would be kinda nice to get it working with what's there so I can get fully upgraded....

Why is this not a selection in StepConf Wizard??

Thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
03 Jun 2013 04:23 - 03 Jun 2013 04:25 #35157 by cncbasher
could you post your hal and ini files ,

which stepper drivers are you using ? are you sure this has stepper drives and not servo's ?
Bridgeport should be an easy conversion ,

stepconf is ok to get you started but after that it's best to hand edit the files .

give some details on your interface bob etc .

also which version of Linuxcnc are you using
Last edit: 03 Jun 2013 04:25 by cncbasher.

More
03 Jun 2013 07:58 #35163 by bogie6040
I'm positive it is stepper motors because the machine is stock and only ever came with stepper motors. The drive is also stock, the original bridgeport stepper drive system, and it does work as original.

I have the series 1 CNC service manual for this machine and on page 4-76 it has a table for the axis drive signal sequence. IT IS NOT step and direction, it matches exactly to the step type 2 (A & B quadrature) that I posted the link to in my original post.

The BOB is one that I built using plans from: members.shaw.ca/swstuff/bob.html

I am using LinuxCNC 2.5.2 with the latest updates from the web. My hal and ini files are the standard files except for the one line I changed, but here they are anyway.

I have not yet begun to wire the machine to the bob because there is no point, as I can not get linuxcnc to output the right sequence of stepping signals, when I can verify on my oscilloscope that I have the correct drive signals, I will make the jump, I'd rather have something that is sort of useable than nothing at all (ie: used the machine to do the moves to make the holes for the ic chips on the BOB).

Yes, I agree, it should be an easy conversion, but if I've learned anything during my 20+ some years as an electronics tech / engineer is that if it involves software it is anything but easy.
Attachments:

More
03 Jun 2013 13:25 - 03 Jun 2013 14:20 #35168 by cncbasher
you will need to hand edit the hal file .
let me know if you need help .

here's a link that explains most changes
www.anderswallin.net/2011/11/ab-quadrature-from-emc2/

i'll attach an updated hal file for you shortly , that should work for you

see attached file , it should get you somewhere close , any problems your not sure of just ask , as i dont have anything at the moment to test with
so they may be a bug or 2 iv'e missed
Attachments:
Last edit: 03 Jun 2013 14:20 by cncbasher.

Time to create page: 0.128 seconds