× Forum Header

x axis homing in wrong direction

• kornphlake
  • kornphlake's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
23 May 2015 12:53 #58949 by kornphlake
x axis homing in wrong direction was created by kornphlake
I have hermes engraving machine I'm working on converting to a CNC router, and all is going fairly well. I've finally wired the limit/home switches the way I meant to do it the first through fourth attempts and the noise problems I was having have gone away for the most part. Now I'm having trouble with the homing routine, the Y and Z axis behave appropriately but the X axis is searching for the limit switch in the wrong direction and then moving to the home position in the wrong direction. Below are the values I've entered in the stepper configuration wizzard.

The machine is a gantry type, when jogging the machine manually a positive move moves the head to the right, a negative move moves the machine to the left. I'd like to set the home position at the furthest point to the left, which is what I believe I have entered in the stepper configuration wizzard. When I start up the machine the z axis homes properly, then the X axis moves in a positive direction, to the right, it will hit the limit switch then back off until the switch releases then move to the right again to the home position, which puts it back on the limit switch and causes an alarm. I can touch the limit switch with my hand when the machine is inbetween the limit switches and it will stop, reverse directions then when I release the switch it will move to the right .25" and stop, everything seems to be correct except for the direction the machine moves searching for the home switch.

I've tried changing the home switch location to 26 and the home to .25 and it works properly, but it's throwing off my groove, I don't like having to move across the entire axis to get to the home position. Does the software always have to search for the home switch in the positive direction?
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
23 May 2015 14:36 - 23 May 2015 14:37 #58950 by Clive S
Have you tried putting a minus sign in front of home search vel. ie -0.05 ..Clive
Last edit: 23 May 2015 14:37 by Clive S.
The following user(s) said Thank You: gzcwnk, Bumbino

More
23 May 2015 17:29 #58952 by ArcEye

Does the software always have to search for the home switch in the positive direction?

As Clive says, depends on the sign which way it goes.

www.linuxcnc.org/docs/devel/html/config/ini_homing.html

You will find it easier to edit your ini file in gedit, rather than keep going back into stepconf and risk messing up all the other settings.

regards

• kornphlake
  • kornphlake's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
24 May 2015 00:20 #58958 by kornphlake
Replied by kornphlake on topic x axis homing in wrong direction
Thanks for the help, using a negative sign accomplished what I needed.

More
02 Jan 2019 07:25 #123310 by gzcwnk
Thanks fixed my issue on X and Y a treat.

More
02 Jan 2019 12:28 #123319 by pl7i92
There Shoudt be a Mouse over function in Stepconf that gives a simple Help
then this woudt be no post

More
17 Aug 2022 04:58 #249929 by Bumbino
After a major overhaul last year i haven't run the mill since. Thought i had all my bases covered getting set back up these past few days. I had moved the homing/limit switch on the Y and my table moves front to back, the stepper's in the back along with the switch. I adjusted everything but the home search velocity. ... man i'm checking wiring, testing other configurations thinking did i bump something at one point and put it back together wrong. Three or more hours on this issue and it's a minus sign. lol. Thank you Clive.

Time to create page: 0.181 seconds