× Forum Header

Configuration of Sound Logic PC-2-Route for D&M4 Limts

More
08 Apr 2020 19:45 #163230 by pwallace
My isolation project is a craigslist special CNC with a D&M4 mill (based on the Sherline mill) that was previously started with a sound logic board for parallel control in place of the computer. I have the Mach xml file (attached but want to try Linuxcnc first.

Components:
* D&M4 mill with NEMA23 stepper motors.
* Sound Logic PC-2-Route rev 1.9
* D&M Chopper Drive
* Dell Optiplex 780
* LinuxCNC 2.7

The pin out for step and direction is different that PC-2-Route rev 1.9 manual but with that solved x,y,and z run!

I am not able to decode the pinout for limits/home and would like some help setting up homing on the Z axis.
* The limit works with switch or jumper and LED20/Zlim illuminates.
* Recommended parallel port config for pin and name? (zHome on pin13?)
* I would like to visualize when the limit is touched in hal or a custom panel. (jumper to home/limit drives indicator in linuxcnc)

Thanks in advance. The cnc is not connected to the internet so pardon delays in moving files around.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
09 Apr 2020 00:56 #163264 by tommylight
Open Linuxcnc, on the "machine" menu there is "show hal configuration", that opens another window, in that window on the right side click on the + to the left of "pins", find "parport" then "0". Now on the right upper side click on "show", and on the left choose the pins 10,11,12,13,15. Now on the right side you have LED that will go green or red depending on the state of that input, so trigger the switches by hand and check to see what switch is connected to what input.

More
09 Apr 2020 05:06 - 09 Apr 2020 05:33 #163301 by pwallace
Thank you Tommy for the quick reply. Pins10-13 are reading true/yellow are are unaffected by hand triggered limit switches.

The direction pins can be set by jogging an axis and Hal/the board LED agree.

*Edit The Bios is "PS2" with the option of AT/PS/2/EPP/ECP no DMA/ECP DMA1/ECP DMC3. Tomorrow I will attempt to use a resistor to discover if I have open collector pins and then check the cable. Thanks in advance.

Reference: linuxcnc.org/docs/html/man/man1/hal_parport.1.html
Last edit: 09 Apr 2020 05:33 by pwallace. Reason: BIOS

More
09 Apr 2020 23:21 #163404 by tommylight
Set the port to EPP mode, check again.
If they do not work, you might want to check the wiring first.
Is it a built in parallel port or an add on ?
Built in's work always, well except for one time that it did not, it required voltage to be supplied to the inputs as they did not have pull up resistors built in.
In any case, you can easily test that by using the Linuxcnc port tester and wiring pin 2 to pin 10 on the port, when you press the button on the tester it should change the state of the input also.

More
14 Apr 2020 20:30 #163977 by pwallace
Thank you Tommy,

The internet went down at the street so I was unable to update. The resistor test worked so I have a PCI parallel port on order to provide additional data points..I will update when I am able.
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight

More
20 Apr 2020 21:54 #164892 by pwallace
The Z axis is up with homing in the new configuration below.

Components:
* D&M4 mill with NEMA23 stepper motors.
* SainSmart 5 Axis
* Stepper Motor Driver TB6600
* Dell Optiplex 780
* LinuxCNC 2.7

Two more drivers are on order so we can go ahead and finish this thread. The Sound Logic obviously works in Mach3 and may have an equivalent LinuxCNC but in jumping pins, the choppers gave up. Thanks for the support. If you need this particular board or can repair D&M choppers please let me know.

Time to create page: 0.076 seconds