× Forum Header

Chinese 6040 CNC no axis motion

More
23 Sep 2021 00:41 - 23 Sep 2021 00:44 #221387 by PeterN
Hello,
I will preface this post by saying that I am a first time user of a linux OS and linuxcnc. I have been trying, unsuccessfully, to configure a Chinese 6040 cnc router using stepconf. I am using an older refurbished dell optiplex with an on board parallel port to hook up the controller. I am unsure what driver is in the control box as I did not receive any paperwork with the machine - it is one of those blue Chinese control boxes. linux is definitely communicating with the driver as I can watch corresponding lights on the board go high-low in response to the test axis function in stepconf. I know I am getting power to the motors because I can hear them energize - also in response to the test axis function in stepconf. However, I cant get any of the axis to actually move. When I launch LinuxCNC after completing stepconf and attempt to manually jog the machine via the linuxCNC UI, I see no response from the driver nor are the motors energized. 

Summary:

Stepconf test axis function: Signs of life but no axis motion

linuxCNC UI trying to jog machine: no signs of life

I would greatly appreciate any advice on possible problems and solutions. Please see attached .hal and .ini files that were generated from stepconf.   

Thanks
Attachments:
Last edit: 23 Sep 2021 00:44 by PeterN.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
01 Oct 2021 13:20 #221953 by andypugh
It is possible that 5000 nS is too short for the driver (though it would normally be OK)
setp parport.0.reset-time 5000

You could try 50000 as an experiment.

You can also try inverting the pulses, probably most easily donw with the checkboxes in stepconf at this point.

More
01 Oct 2021 13:54 - 01 Oct 2021 13:57 #221955 by timo
Question: Do you have it running now?

Last edit: 01 Oct 2021 13:57 by timo.

More
16 Feb 2022 03:17 #235004 by PeterN
I do! After much guess work I found out that pin 14 had to be set to amplifier enable. After that was set, I had rough motion. Refined it by playing around with the motor setup and I was off to the races!

Time to create page: 0.227 seconds