× Forum Header

Driver Specs for a ST-4045 driver

More
20 Jan 2022 22:57 #232565 by Kylehopestolearn
I am experiencing unpredictable movement results so I am trying to tune my steppers as per the article linuxcnc.org/docs/html/motion/tweaking-steppers.html
I can't seem to find out or understand the specs I get when looking for my driver (ST-4045).
200khz pulse rate max 
10us step rising edge

So I understand 10us steplength (I believe) but can't find anything on any of the other specs to do the math in the article from.   I need to run the latency test while abusing the machine as it seems I get missed steps or steps in the wrong direction only when there are many quick small movements. 
Any advice would be helpful.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
20 Jan 2022 23:03 #232568 by tommylight
Parallel port or Mesa?

More
20 Jan 2022 23:09 #232571 by Kylehopestolearn
I am using Parallel port. I have full movement on axis but pockets aren't lining up and I miss random chunks of movement on any of the 3 axis. I don't have access to my current settings but they are most likely default or I dumbed them down to get it working just not working properly. I wanted to do the math and make sure the stepconf is right.

More
20 Jan 2022 23:13 #232572 by tommylight
Base_period to 100.000
step time to 5000
step space to 5000
reset time to 5000
-
reset should be in hal, the rest in the ini file.

More
20 Jan 2022 23:16 #232574 by Kylehopestolearn
Thank you very much. I will try those settings out and see how the machine behaves. Unfortunately I need to wait until the weekend to get to my machine but thank you for the quick help.
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight

More
20 Jan 2022 23:17 #232575 by tommylight
You are welcomed, always.

More
22 Jan 2022 00:01 #232709 by Kylehopestolearn
I have attached the ini and hal file for my current setup.  The issue I am experiencing is when there are small movements on the x axis.  I get +x drift so I am missing -x steps. Y axis seems fine.  Z axis seems fine.   
The test axis in stepconf runs at 1inch/s which is no where near what I can get during cutting.
I saw the Base_Period in the ini and step_reset in the hal but step space and step time I only saw in the stepconf setup not in the hal or ini.
I am going to rewire the breakout and driver and motor for the x axis and see if that helps.
Attachments:

More
22 Jan 2022 16:22 #232794 by Kylehopestolearn
Just for an update.  I rewired the x axis and checked everything.  There was a loose wire but ran a 3 layer 5 inch wide pocket with a 1/4 inch bit.  The second layer outside edge was out 1/8th of an inch but the 3rd layer seemed to line up.  I used the pocket.py to generate the gcode.  The shift is opposite what I had before I rewired it.  The randomness of the issue is giving me trouble.
On the plus side after I rewired the drivers the motors sound a lot healthier.  So bonus.  

Time to create page: 0.093 seconds