× Forum Header

Z axis stopped moving after stepconf setup

More
23 Nov 2010 03:55 #5550 by awilcox
I am a new convert to emc2 so forgive my ignorance.

Successfully loaded software (V2.4.3, Ubuntu 10.04 LTS) and ran stepconf. I was able to test each axis before exiting. Started the software to jog each axis and z-axis would not move. I exited for the evening and tried the next day and I couldn't get z-axis to move in test mode.

What am i missing?

TIA,

awilcox

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
23 Nov 2010 15:08 #5559 by andypugh
Well, it _could_ be a hardware problem, loose wire, blown driver (lets hope not).

Is there any sign that the motor is live? (can you turn it by hand?)

More
23 Nov 2010 15:21 #5561 by awilcox
The motor is energized and is difficult to turn by hand. I checked connections and driver fuse and all "seemed" well.

More
23 Nov 2010 15:35 #5562 by andypugh
Does it move ever so slightly when you switch between up and down? if so then it is that the step and direction pins have been switched somehow.

If you set the jog rate very slow and find that the motor alternates between locked and free that would indicate that one phase of the motor is not energised. With only one active phase there is nothing to give a sense of direction to the movement.

Did you test with the axis connected mechanically? it is possible that the speed/accelleration setting were OK for a loose motor, but too high when trying to move the axis. (you would probably be able to tell that the motor was stalled though)

More
23 Nov 2010 15:54 #5564 by awilcox
The motor doesn't turn al all which is strange because it initially ran in test mode. I increased the jog rate to make sure that wasn't an issue. If I understand your statement correctly, I
didn't manually check if the motor was locked or free after changing jog rate or direction. This can be cheked very easily.

I have made many stepconf adjustments in the driver type to rule out this setting (gecko 201) but no luck yet.

My axes are mechanically connected. I used the port monitoring tool to determine if a signal is being sent and it was, but I don't know if it is applicable for this problem.

My strange setup consists of 2 OMS, mh10 drives (y&a axes), 1 gecko gel201a drive (x-axis) and 1 flash cut 1/2 step drive (z-axis).

More
23 Nov 2010 16:08 #5565 by andypugh
Axis-test does not toggle any amp-enable lines.
Some drives need amp-enable pulled low, and some need it pulled high. Is is possible you tested with Amp-enable unconnected and now it is connected?

Actually, forget that if the motor is acting live.

I would be tempted to temporarily swap motor connections between working and non-working drives/motors. Be very careful to only do this with the drives powered-down. Also make absolutely sure you do not wire a motor phase between two driver phases (eg Motor A+ to Drive A+, Motor A- to drive B-) as that gets expensive.

More
23 Nov 2010 16:28 #5567 by awilcox
I am not sure if I tested w/ or w/o amp-enabled. I will research to see what that means. I will also swap motor connections and see what happens.

Time to create page: 0.086 seconds