× Forum Header

zeroing machine to fixture causes motion

More
06 Feb 2011 05:03 #7019 by jslindsay
after positioning my 3 axis gantry router at the fixture reference point, I use the "touch off" button to set the position to "0.00" for each axis. Often, but not always the "Y" axis will move when I enter the position. It doesn't have to be the "Y" axis I'm setting and it only happens once. The Axis display doesn't show this movement. I'm using Axis 2.4.6 using linux 8.04

I'm using a 3 axis Hobbycnc board that seems to work great, and I don't seem to loose steps during any of my runs.

Please tell me what configuration setting I have managed to mess up.

Thanks

John Lindsay

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
06 Feb 2011 11:48 #7021 by BigJohnT
There is no configuration in EMC that will cause an axis to move when you touch off.

I would suspect something electrical like loss of power to that stepper ( I assume stepper) that makes it go to the nearest full step or something like that. Since it is confined to the Y axis I would check all connections on that axis, swap the X and Y steppers etc to troubleshoot.

John

More
06 Feb 2011 11:50 #7022 by Rick G
Hello John,

How far does it move? Do you have backlash compensation turned on? If so have you tried it with the backlash compensation off?

Rick G

More
14 Feb 2011 23:07 #7192 by jslindsay
Sorry for being out of touch after asking the question, I think this started happening after I turned on Backlash compensation. after looking at the problem it would appear that the movement isn't all that much, but I do have a lot of backlash in my lead screws presently, and I'm replacing the screws with ball screws in the next few weeks.

I bet that will take care of the issue.

Thanks for all your comments.

John
:)

More
15 Feb 2011 11:37 #7201 by Rick G
Pretty sure I have seen this behavior on set ups with large backlash compensation.
Not really sure if it ever caused any problems, I believe it is EMC applying the backlash compensation to one side or the other of the Axis.
Let us know how it works out with the new hardware.

Rick G

More
15 Feb 2011 13:34 #7204 by BigJohnT
Rick,

This could be a small bug related to changing between free and coordinated modes after the touch off but is not related to touch off but might be caused by what happens internally after a touch off.

Anyway I have alerted the developers to this...

John

More
16 Feb 2011 11:45 #7236 by Rick G
Hello John,

That makes sense, I believe I have seen the same behavior after a G92.

Rick

More
17 Feb 2011 05:44 #7270 by jslindsay
Thanks for the comments, I'm almost happy to find that I didn't cause it.

Thanks everyone

More
17 Feb 2011 13:34 #7282 by BigJohnT
Unfortunately, I can't reproduce it with the Axis sim.

Can you zip and attach your config files or pastebin them and provide a link?

John

More
28 Apr 2011 00:44 #9436 by jslindsay
Just a quick note, that after replacing the Y axis screw, I eliminated the backlash compensation on that axis, the the problem didn't return.

Thanks to everyone.

Time to create page: 0.162 seconds